Information Technology Specialist (INFOSEC)
Occasional travel - Travel to passport offices located in the United States.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
.Applicants must meet all the required qualification requirements, including education and any selective placement factors described below by the closing date of this announcement.
If you are qualifying based on education OR if there are mandatory education requirements listed below, you MUST submit a copy of your college transcript with your application.
Applicants applying for the GS-12 grade level must meet the following requirements:
Have IT-related experience demonstrating EACH of the four competencies AND specialized experience listed below:
- Attention to Detail –Learns and applies standard problem resolution script or an established ‘decision tree to isolate and identify the source of the trouble as well as determine the procedures to accomplish corrective actions. (
- Customer Service – Performs routine and recurring assignments to ensure end-user access to systems and applications.
- Oral Communication – Well developed oral and written communications skills to produce comprehensive documentation, reports and correspondence.
- Problem Solving – With guidance, diagnoses and troubleshoots Website operational problems, including links, file directory, server or application problems; makes corrections and restores functionality.
Have at least 1 full year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-11 level in the Federal service which provided you with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the duties of the position.
Qualifying specialized experience must demonstrate the following:
- Experience applying and interpreting policies, procedures, and strategies governing the planning, delivery, and security of information services.
- Experience providing recommendations to management on critical IT issues.
- Experience applying information security systems principles and concepts.
- NOTE: In order to qualify for this position, your experience MUST be IT related; the experience may be demonstrated by paid or unpaid experience and/or completion of specific, intensive training (for example, IT certification), as appropriate.
There is no substitute of education for specialized experience for the GS-12 position.
1. Attention to Detail-Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
2. Customer Service- Works with clients and customers to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations
3. Oral Communication-Expresses information to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
4. Problem Solving- Identifies problems, diagnoses and troubleshoots Website operational problems, including links, file directory, server or application problems; makes corrections and restores functionality.
Have least 1 full year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-12 level in the Federal service which provided you with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the duties of the position. Qualifying specialized experience must demonstrate the following:
- Experience developing and interpreting policies, procedures, and strategies governing the planning, delivery, and security of information services.
- Experience providing and implementing recommendations to senior management on complex/controversial IT issues;
- Experience applying total infrastructure protection environment and systems security certification and accreditation requirements and processes.
There is no substitute of education for specialized experience for the GS-13 position.
See the qualifications section of this vacancy announcement for education requirements, if applicable.
For reasonable accommodation at the U.S. Department of State, please contact the Office of Accessibility and Accommodations at (202) 663-3474 or ReasonableAccommodations@state.gov.
More than one selection may be made from this announcement if additional vacancies in the same title, series, grade, and unit occur.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application will be evaluated and rated under the Category Rating and Selection procedures. Based on your responses to the job-specific self-assessment questions, eligible candidates are placed for selection consideration into one of three pre-defined quality categories as described below:
Highly-qualified Category - In addition to meeting minimum qualifications for the position, candidates must fully demonstrate proficiency in all major aspects of the position.
Well Qualified Category - In addition to meeting minimum qualifications, candidates must demonstrate proficiency in some, but not all of the major aspects of the position.
Qualified Category - In addition to meeting minimum qualifications, applicants must demonstrate a basic level of knowledge, skill and ability of the position.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following knowledge, skills, abilities (KSAs) and other characteristics that are relevant to the duties of this position and must be fully supported by information in your resume:
- Ability to communicate in writing.
- Knowledge of information technology specialty areas (e.g., application systems design, database management, computer equipment, software, systems.
- Knowledge of information technology life cycle management concepts.
- Ability to lead individuals and teams.
- Knowledge of Information Assurance methods and procedures.
- Ability to apply statutes, policies, and regulations governing information technology.
Application of Veterans Preference: The Category Rating Method does not add veterans' preference points or apply the "rule of three," but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each pre-defined quality category. Preference eligibles who meet minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent (i.e., CPS and CP) must be listed in the highest quality category, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-09 grade level or higher.
Agency Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) or Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) candidates must be rated "Well Qualified" for the position to receive consideration for special priority.
Applicants must meet all the qualification requirements and submit any required supporting documentation by the closing date of this announcement. Applicants found to be among the top qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring official for further consideration and possible interview.
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Top Secret