Manager, Member & Community Engagement
AcademyHealth, the professional home for health services and policy researchers, is seeking an early career membership professional to manage our member engagement and community-building efforts. The successful candidate will work closely with the director of membership to develop and implement initiatives that build connections between AcademyHealth and its members, and among and between our diverse communities of members. This position has primary responsibility for overseeing the day-to-day activities of our student chapter and professional Interest Groups. In addition, the manager, member engagement and community building will work closely with the membership director to conceive, develop and launch member engagement, recruitment and retention campaigns.
The ideal candidate has an entrepreneurial mindset, is flexible, driven, innovative, highly organized, and a versatile self-starter with outstanding interpersonal and customer service skills. The candidate will provide input and guidance in the development and implementation of new member benefits and programs. This position is “outward facing” and requires a candidate to be able to work with different types of members and be comfortable with facilitating discussions around the development of new activities, annual meeting deadlines, and overall member needs. The position requires a minimum of three years of professional experience in program management, membership engagement or marketing for a professional society or association.
- Work collaboratively with the director of membership to research new initiatives and implement strategies to increase member retention and diversify membership.
- Work with marketing and communications staff on member recruitment and retention campaigns.
- Develop year-round and conference-specific member engagement activities
- Support and motivate member volunteers in the planning and creation of professional development and networking events, the development of members-only content and other activities that advance the creation and use of evidence to improve health and the delivery of health care.
- Identify opportunities to enhance engagement of professional and student members, including student chapters, Interest Groups (IG) and other volunteer leaders.
- Work with AcademyHealth’s conferences team and volunteer leaders to successfully plan and execute Interest Group meetings and student events in conjunction with the AcademyHealth Annual Research Meeting.
- Draft announcements, blog posts, and promotional messaging for member newsletter, organizational emails, and external publications.
- Respond in a timely manner to membership inquires and requests including written, electronic and verbal communications.
- Build and maintain relationships with members, including Interest Group members and volunteer leaders, student and student chapter leaders, AcademyHealth’s board and staff, and other volunteers.
- Monitor and support regular communication between AcademyHealth staff and the wider AcademyHealth membership.
- Develop and manage web-based content for membership, including general membership, interest group and student chapter web pages.
- Travel and attend AcademyHealth conference(s) to assist with marketing AcademyHealth’s programs and services.
- Support the overall goals of the membership program area by performing other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, management or other related field.
- Minimum of three years of membership/marketing experience for professional societies or associations.
- Versatile self-starter with initiative, reliability, and resourcefulness; able to offer constructive ideas and apply practical expertise to contribute to the overall goals of the membership program.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Strong oral, interpersonal, and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills; detail oriented; and ability to handle multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Solid experience using Microsoft programs (Word and Excel).
- Familiarity with an association management database.
- Ability to work independently and still anticipate team needs.
- Ability to work overtime occasionally and travel to meetings.
- Demonstrates a positive attitude, is coachable and open to constructive feedback.
- Maintains cooperative relationships with external stakeholders and internal staff team.
Qualified applicants should send cover letter, resume, writing sample and three professional references (with emails and phone numbers) to Human Resources, AcademyHealth, 1666 K Street NW, Suite 1100, Washington, DC 20006. Fax: 202-292-6800. Email: email@example.com. Please be sure to reference the position for which you are applying.