Library Specialist III
Job Category : Classified Staff
Working hours :
Salary : Expected starting salary $47,000.00
Web Announcement :
Reference, Research and Instruction Specialist
The George Mason University Libraries, Teaching and Learning Services, is looking for an enthusiastic and energetic person for a Reference, Research, and Instruction Specialist (RRI Specialist) to provide library instruction, research and reference support, as well as outreach assistance to campus partners at Teaching and Learning Services. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masonâ€™s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Responsibilities: This position is primarily responsible for supporting Masonâ€™s core mission of teaching, learning and research. The RRI Specialist will teach information literacy skills in the classroom, during workshops, and at the information desk. They will be responsible for creating lesson plans, learning activities, and student learning assessments for in-class use. This position will also provide research assistance using basic, complex and specialized print and online research resources, tools and software to provide accurate, prompt and thorough information. As a member of the Teaching and Learning Services Team, the RRI Specialist informs, instructs, collaborates and engages with all facets of the Mason community, including academic departments, university offices, and student organizations.
Responsibilities: Applicants must have the ability to provide class instruction for general and subject-based courses; teach research skills through workshops and individual consultations; provide reference and research assistance to library users; conduct research presentations, orientations and tours; and assist with the outreach, assessment, and evaluation of library instruction programs.
- Bachelorâ€™s degree or combination of education and significant equivalent library experience;
- Demonstrated instruction and teaching skills, in a high school or higher education setting;
- Knowledge of library public services, particularly reference, instruction, and user service programs;
- Demonstrated use of information and research sourcesâ€”both print and electronic, automated library systems, online library catalogs, electronic databases, and Web resources;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to use a variety of software packages, including MS Office; and
- Strong customer service and collaboration skills, including the ability to work effectively and courteously with multicultural populations and varying educational levels. Preferred Qualifications:
- Demonstrated academic library experience;
- Demonstrated experience with academic library circulation systems;
- Experience using citation management tools, such as Zotero, and data collection tools, such as Qualtrics;
- Demonstrated use of content management systems (Blackboard, etc.) and software platforms (LibraryH3lp, Springshare, etc.); and
- Ability to troubleshoot technical problems.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Close Date : 2018-08-21