Technical Fellow, Avionics
Occasional travel - Travel may be required for training or other work-related duties
U.S. citizenship is required.
Candidates must have a bachelor's degree, preferably an advanced degree in the engineering discipline or closely related field to the position for which applying.
The initial appointment will be for 3 years, with the possibility of extending up to an additional 2 years. If selectee is currently a permanent NASA civil service employee he/she will receive a temporary promotion. Employee will then return to a position at a grade level no lower than the grade previously held. If selectee is on a nonpermanent civil service appointment, a permanent civil service appointment in another Agency, or is not currently on a civil service appointment he/she will receive a term appointment NTE 3 years. This appointment may be made permanent without further competition.
All qualified candidates will be referred to a panel of subject matter experts for further evaluation against the NASA ST Evaluation Criteria as stated in the How You Will Be Evaluated section. Experience in these criteria MUST be addressed within the NASA-provided online form. Refer to the How to Apply section for complete instructions.
Duty location may be at any one of the 10 NASA Centers (Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, CA; Armstrong Flight Research Center, Edwards, CA; Glenn Research Center, Cleveland, OH; Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, MD; NASA Headquarters, Washington, D.C.; Johnson Space Center, Houston, TX; Kennedy Space Center, Cocoa Beach, FL; Langley Research Center, Hampton, VA; Marshall Space Flight Center, Huntsville, AL; or Stennis Space Center, Mississippi). Final duty assignment will be made at the discretion of the selecting official.
As a condition of employment, male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must certify that they have registered with the Selective Service System, or are exempt from having to do so under the Selective Service Law. In order to receive preference in hiring, you must clearly identify your claim for veterans preference on your resume.
Your USAJOBS account asks you to assign a name to each of your resumes. When you apply to a NASA position, we will show you the text of the resume you have submitted, but we do not maintain the name you have assigned to that resume. If you wish to keep track of that information, we recommend you make note of it at the time you apply.
Relocation expenses may be paid consistent with NASA's policy.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
All candidates will be referred to a panel of subject matter experts for further evaluation against the NASA ST Evaluation Criteria as stated in the NASA ST Evaluation Criteria section below. Experience in these criteria MUST be addressed within the NASA-provided online form. Refer to the How to Apply section for complete instructions. We strongly recommend you complete your answers to these five criteria off-line in a text document in advance of beginning the application process, so that you can insert them into the electronic form. Incomplete applications are not saved.
NASA ST Evaluation Criteria
1. Education Level and Training. In addition to degree information, please include your pattern of continuing development to maintain currency and level of skills.
2. Technical Excellence and Contributions. Please include a. through c. below in your response. Include the impact on key Center and relevant NASA/Agency and national programs.
b. Technical Problem Solving
c. Publications and Information Transfer
3. Awards and Recognition. This criterion includes recognition of your accomplishments by peers in the broad scientific and/or engineering community and customers.
4. Outside Professional Activities.
5. Corporate Cooperation and Technical Leadership Skills. Included in this criterion are leadership skills in directing or participating in technical team activities, as well as coordinating those activities within and outside the Center. Also included are coaching/mentoring and diversity and inclusion.