Communication and Resource Specialist GS-1001-11/12 (DEU-KD)
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Are There Any Special Requirements For This Position?
- A background investigation will be required for this position. Continued employment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements will be grounds for termination.
- Throughout the recruitment and hiring process we will be communicating with you via email; therefore, it is imperative that the email address you provide when applying for this vacancy remains active. Should your email address change, please notify the point of contact identified in the vacancy announcement as soon as possible so that we can update our system.
Applicants must meet one of the following to qualify for the GS-11 level:
--One year of specialized experience in or directly related to this position that equipped the applicant with the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of this position. To be creditable, the required specialized experience must have been equivalent to at least the GS-09 level in the Federal service. Examples of GS-9 level work may include: providing administrative and technical support in the design, maintenance, and use of information sharing systems and collaboration software programs; applying a basic understanding of collaboration software platforms and web platforms in order to collaborate with technical personnel; serving as the primary point of contact for website content, ensuring the accuracy of information, and periodically reviewing and purging unneeded or outdated content; formatting technical content; editing materials for factual content; reviewing materials for accuracy, style, and proper organization; and applying an expertise in writing and editing documents.
--OR applicants may substitute successful completion of 3 years of progressively higher level graduate education or Ph.D. or equivalent graduate degree (such as an LL.M, if related). (54 semester hours, 81 quarter hours, or the equivalent).
--OR a combination of appropriate specialized experience (as described above) and graduate education (as described above) that is beyond the second year of progressive graduate study to meet the qualification requirements. (CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS ON HOW TO COMBINE EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE).
Applicants must meet the following to qualify for the GS-12 level:
--One year of specialized experience in or directly related to this position that equipped the applicant with the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of this position. To be creditable, the required specialized experience must have been equivalent to at least the GS-11 level in the Federal service. Examples of GS-11 level work may include: providing administrative and technical expertise in the design, maintenance, and use of information sharing systems and collaboration software programs; applying a basic understanding of collaboration software platforms and web platforms in order to collaborate with technical personnel; serving as the primary point of contact for website content, ensuring the accuracy of information, and periodically reviewing and purging unneeded or outdated content; identifying requirements and engaging in activities related to public-facing website redesign and maintenance; formatting and disseminating technical, high-visibility, high priority content from leadership; editing materials such as federal reports, regulation notices, journal articles, etc., for factual content; reviewing materials for technical accuracy, style, proper organization, emphasis and editorial aspects before release; and applying a high degree of expertise in writing and editing, especially as relates to legal documents.
You must meet all qualification and eligibility requirements for the position by the closing date of the announcement.
- Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g. Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
- Education completed in colleges or universities outside the United States may be used to meet the above requirements. You must provide acceptable documentation that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States. For more information on how foreign education is evaluated, visit: http://www.usgs.gov/ohr/oars/quals/foreign.html.
- Identification of promotion potential in this announcement does not constitute a commitment or an obligation on the part of management to promote the employee selected at some future date. Promotion will depend upon administrative approval and the continuing need for and performance of higher-level duties.
- Under Executive Order 11935, only United States citizens and nationals (residents of American Samoa and Swains Island) may compete for civil service jobs. Agencies are permitted to hire non-citizens only in very limited circumstances where there are no qualified citizens available for the position.
- The application contains information subject to the Privacy Act (P.L. 93-579, 5 USC 552a). The information is used to determine qualifications for employment, and is authorized under Title 5, USC, Section 3302 and 3361.
- DOI uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
- THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
--Vacancy Related Questions: As part of the online application process, you will need to respond to a series of questions designed to assess your possession of the following knowledge skills, abilities and/or competencies: Written Communication; Program/Project Management; Publications Design; Information Management; Technology Application.
--Basis of rating: Category rating will be used in the ranking and selection process for this position. The quality categories are Best Qualified, Well Qualified, and Qualified. You will be rated on the extent and quality of your experience, education, and training relevant to the duties of the position. If you are eligible, your on-line responses to the application questions will determine your placement in the appropriate quality category described above. Your responses must be substantiated by your resume. If you do not respond to the application questions you may be rated ineligible. Veterans' preference rules for category rating will be applied.
--NOTE: If it is determined that you have rated yourself higher than is supported in your description of experience and/or education as described in your resume/application, or that your resume or application is incomplete, you may be rated ineligible, not qualified, or your score may be lowered.
To preview questions please click here.