Education Support Specialist III
Job Category : Classified Staff
Working hours :
Salary : Commensurate with education and experience.
Web Announcement :
Academic Advisor, School of Business
The George Mason University School of Business invites applications for the position of Academic Advisor. This is a full-time staff position with full benefits. There may be a possibility for multiple hires from this posting. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masonâ€™s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Responsibilities: Academic advisors are responsible for engaging students in interpreting and applying George Mason University and the School of Business programs and services, requirements, policies and procedures; evaluating students academic progress, provide guidance in determining students academic interests and objectives and aiding them to develop long-range academic and career plans; providing academic advising for a large population of undergraduate business students; developing quality programs to identify and support students academic problems and career choice difficulties; and planning innovative and high quality programs and events to enhance our students academic development and interests and to prepare students to meet todays job market demands.
The Academic Advisor will provide support for undergraduate students in the School of Business. The incumbent has responsibilities in the following areas: Student Interaction:
- Provide academic advising in individual consultations, group events or presentations, and tabling, for current and aspiring business students on such topics as major or minor choice, curriculum selection, study skills, scholarship and club opportunities, and other academic-related areas.
- Plan and implement academic-related events and perform outreach to business students for retention efforts.
- Develop online programs and workshops on academic planning, orientation, and academic status for academic development.
- Develop, disseminate and maintain resources to assist students with academic planning and development of academic/career/professional knowledge and skills.
- Coordinate complex activities to support student academic planning.
- Understand and implement proper use of rules and procedures concerning confidentiality.
Educational Program Development and Planning:
- Create and manage student services program operations, establish goals, develop and implement methods to evaluate and assess program effectiveness, and modify policies and procedures to enhance the overall efficiency of the office.
- Create and implement new initiatives, programs, and services to better enhance the overall experience of BUS students.
- Represent the School of Business as a liaison to University offices or by serving on various committees across the University to maximize student retention programming efforts.
- Input individual student contact information into Salesforce database to provide immediate access for other advisors and consistent advising information for students.
- Write appropriate notes summarizing important information concerning the contact.
- Utilize the Student Success Collaborative (SSC) database to create and/or participate in campaigns for targeted outreach to select students.
- Manage availability within the Student Scheduler in SSC to enhance the student experience for scheduling appointments.
- Utilize Patriot Success database to assist with Masonâ€™s retention efforts.
- Utilize Banner INB student information system to review student transcripts, records, course registration history, and entering course overrides.
- Research and respond to student inquiries by email.
- Provide feedback for updates to School of Business online materials to reflect changes in policies and programs.
- Maintain student records utilizing Salesforce.
- Maintain open professional communication with faculty and administrators to share information and align academic services with the schoolâ€™s mission.
- Provide input on student request decisions and participate in appeals committee as asked.
- Provide accurate interpretations of policies and procedures for students, parents and faculty.
- Assist with processing of graduation audits, notify students of discrepancies and follow up with them on options.
- Assist with updates to orientation materials each semester. Required Qualifications:
- Bachelorâ€™s degree, or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Academic advising experience;
- Ability to develop, implement and manage academic programs services;
- Excellent organizational, communication and presentation skills;
- Technology: experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint; WordPress; and in the use of the Internet;
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and work independently; and
- Good citizenship and the ability to work well with colleagues.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 02707z at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information. The department will contact candidates directly should additional materials be required. Review of applications will begin after August 14, 2018 and continue until the position is filled.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Close Date :