Director, Proof of Concept (PoC) Lead (1159-679)
5 days left
- Full Time
R&I conducts early research and incubation of new initiatives focused on exploring emerging technologies and trends that may impact USP or the industries for which it develops quality standards (e.g., biopharmaceuticals, dietary supplements, foods, healthcare quality). This is a hands-on position within the Research & Innovation (R&I) Department, focused on establishing a new Proof of Concept (PoC) team. Although initially non-supervisory, this position is intended to grow to oversee a small team of PoC staff, as the function gets established.
The PoC Lead is responsible for leading the PoC function within R&I, which will entail managing and developing a portfolio of early stage projects through research and evaluation, as well as working with the VP, R&I to shape and stand-up the PoC team. This role will identify and investigate promising technologies and trends. Investigation will include conducting preliminary research of new R&I projects to inform potential organizational applications and fit, and developing strategic plans to further assess potential for broader organizational strategic investment. The PoC Lead will manage a diverse portfolio, working both within R&I and in close collaboration with stakeholders across the organization according to the needs of the specific initiative. Products of the PoCs should include identification and technical definition/validation of the project, benefits & risks analysis, financial modeling, operational planning and resourcing, incubation planning, and executive-level communications of technical material.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Scans / monitors several industries to identify emerging technologies or trends that may impact USP or the industries for which it develops quality standards
- Conducts preliminary research including literature review, market analysis, and SME interviews to develop a thorough understanding of a technology/trend, including major sub-components, players, and regulatory environment.
- Develops recommendations for potential implications of the specific technologies / trends on USP or the industries for which it develops quality standards
- Assesses application and fit of select technologies into broader USP strategy
- Develops strategic plans including use cases of select technologies, operational planning and resourcing, and benefit/risk analysis to propose plan for potential organizational investment
- Works closely with other departments and functional teams including the Strategy & Business Development (SBD) to formulate and prioritize projects that could feed into the R&I pipeline
- Contributes to project prioritization activities with the R&I Portfolio Committee
- Leads project initiation, transition, and close-out, driving (or helping to drive) PoC projects to mature to the next stage following established governance
- Provides input and propose modifications and refinement to R&I pipeline and processes, as appropriate
- Possesses MD, PharmD, or PhD degree in Biology, Chemistry, Chemical /Biochemical Engineering, BioEngineering, Biochemistry
- Minimum of 7 years of relevant experience, including at least 3 years of top-tier management consulting experience in the life-sciences or related sector, with experience excelling in fast-paced and dynamic environment requiring rapid skill / knowledge acquisition in diverse topics and fields
- Minimum 3 years of business development or related experience, including strategic planning or production/operations
- Demonstrates strong evidence of skill in literary research and market research analysis with exceptional ability to identify critical paths and synthesize highly technical information for executive decision making
- Possesses strong problem solving skills and ability to work in a matrix organization
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to effectively communicate outputs to both lay and technical audiences
- Experience with planning, tracking and performance management of programs/ initiatives
- Excellent written, oral and presentation skills
- Possesses curiosity and creative thinking to propose innovative strategies to enhance existing USP capabilities
- Shows ability to quickly learn about a topic, make recommendations, and then shift attention to unrelated topics in the matter of weeks
- Ability to multitask and manage multiple priorities concurrently with strong results/goal orientation
- Demonstrates sensitivity and diplomacy in working with SMEs and relevant stakeholders
- Possesses high level of comfort with ambiguity and adaptable to fast paced environment
- Experience in leading and managing projects that require participation from multiple departments and stakeholders
Currently none. May supervise staff of 1-5 individuals in the future.
USP offers an impressive benefits package, including:
- Generous paid time off – 13 paid holidays, 10 sick days and 15 vacation days per year to start
- An annual 401(k) contribution, beginning after 1 year of service, of 10% of pay (base and bonus) every pay period that vests immediately
- Comprehensive individual and family healthcare plans with affordable premiums and low annual deductibles ($250/individual or $500/family)
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) is a scientific nonprofit organization that sets standards for the identity, strength, quality, and purity of medicines, food ingredients, and dietary supplements manufactured, distributed and consumed worldwide. USP’s drug standards are enforceable in the United States by the Food and Drug Administration, and these standards are used in more than 140 countries.
Being a part of USP means belonging to a diverse culture made up of more than 1,000 talented professionals working together at five international locations. We share our expertise in science, IT, human resources, quality assurance, communications, administrative management, and more...all to support an overall mission dedicated to making a difference by providing standards and programs that help improve the quality of medicines, dietary supplements, and foods worldwide.
USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities.
USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.Job Location Rockville, Maryland, United States Position Type Full-Time/Regular