Sr. Director - Federal Relations
Do you enjoy working in a fast paced, dynamic industry with issues that headline news and shape the current political landscape?
Working for one of the largest and most influential trade associations in the US, you will enjoy working as a team member for the only national trade association that represents all aspects of America’s oil and natural gas industry to the public, Congress, government and the media.
As our Senior Director – Federal Relations, you will be responsible for directing and managing API’s federal lobbying team in support of API advocacy objectives. Duties associated with these responsibilities include: direct lobbying of Members of Congress, congressional staff, and federal agencies; development and implementation of federal lobbying strategy and tactics in coordination with API leadership, internal issue campaign teams and the Committee on Federal Relations; and, coalition building and management.
You will be responsible for:
- Leadership abilities to direct, motivate and manage API’s team of federal lobbyists as they integrate with internal staff teams, coordinate and lead member company lobbying efforts, and engage with external audiences in pursuit of API advocacy priorities.
- Direct lobbying of Members of Congress, Congressional staff, and federal agencies.
- Managing API’s federal consultants.
- Coordinating and managing teams of member company Washington Representatives.
- Developing and maintaining effective working relationships with internal staff resources.
- Building and maintaining effective relationships with external stakeholders including, but not limited to elected officials, member company representatives, coalition/trade association partners and government agencies.
- Acquiring a working knowledge of API issues and activities sufficient to allow for effective response to member company and public inquires, and to provide substantive answers and materials as needed or make referrals to the appropriate Council resource.
- Seeking opportunities to convey API messages to, and cultivate relationships with, elected officials, their staff and allied organizations important in support of API’s advocacy priorities.
- Representing API to external audiences, and when required, makes speeches and presentations.
Occasional domestic travel may be required. Working on special projects and other duties as assigned.
You will possess the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in political science or relevant discipline required or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of five (5) year’s advocacy experience with proven track record of success in congressional, executive branch, trade association government relations, or related experience.
- Working knowledge of congressional protocols and processes.
- Working knowledge of executive branch protocols and processes.
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple issues, projects, tasks, and information/requests.
- Ability to use independent judgment in evaluating situations/issues.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office including Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint, as well as experience working with Internet applications.
- Willingness to learn Office 365 required. Experience with Office 365, preferred.
The American Petroleum Institute (API) is the only national trade association representing all facets of the oil and natural gas industry, which supports 10.3 million U.S. jobs and nearly 8 percent of the U.S. economy. API’s more than 625 members include large integrated companies, as well as exploration and production, refining, marketing, pipeline, and marine businesses, and service and supply firms. They provide most of the nation’s energy and are backed by a growing grassroots movement of more than 40 million Americans.
Although our focus is primarily domestic, in recent years our work has expanded to include a growing international dimension, and today API is recognized around the world for its broad range of programs. Learn more about API at www.api.org.
As an API team member, you will enjoy competitive wages, excellent benefits, a generous PTO plan with paid holidays and a great working atmosphere.
API is an EOE M/F/D/V.
This job outline describes the typical accountabilities and requirements of the position and should not be construed as an all encompassing description of every duty performed by or expected of the incumbent.