Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Must have a valid state driver's license.
The work requires frequent walking, standing, lifting, and bending. Must be certified to wear a respirator and other protective clothing to apply pesticides. Also required to participate in applicable health surveillance programs because of exposure to pesticides, soil molds and dusts.
Ranges from office atmosphere to cold, hot, wet, and dirty. Sometimes can be potentially unsafe work environments which are extremely hot or cold outside. Subject to burns, cuts, falls, and insect bites and stings, or injury from power equipment.
Qualification requirements must be met within 30 days of the job opportunity announcement closing date.
BASIC REQUIREMENTS: (YOU MUST SUBMIT UNOFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS TO SHOW EVIDENCE OF MEETING THE BASIC EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS)
All applicants must meet the following education requirements:
1. Degree: horticulture; or a related discipline of basic plant science that included at least 30 semester hours in the basic plant sciences, of which at least 16 semester hours were in horticultural subjects such as those dealing with the breeding, care, management, production, and post harvest handling of horticultural crops.
2. Combination of education and experience: courses equivalent to a major in horticulture or a related discipline of basic plant science that included course work as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
Evaluation of Education: Courses in botany, plant physiology, plant taxonomy, plant pathology, genetics, agronomy, horticulture, and similar courses may be used to meet the 30-semester-hour requirement in basic plant sciences.
The 16-semester-hour requirement in horticulture includes course work in basic horticulture and course work related to any of the recognized subject-matter fields of horticulture, i.e., fruits, vegetables, ornamentals, nursery work, seed production, or course work in related areas of science, such as micro-biology, entomology, plant pathology, plant physiology, or genetics that is directly related to horticultural work.
In addition to meeting Basic Requirements above, applicants must meet the following criteria.
Specialized Experience: In addition to meeting Basic Requirements above, applicants must have one year of full-time experience at the Grade 5 level that is close or similar to the work of this job. For this position Specialized experience is defined as working in horticulture and plant production in a greenhouse or nursery setting which demonstrates knowledge of theories, methods and principles of horticulture science or related basic plant science.
Education: One full year of progressively higher level graduate education in horticulture; or a related discipline of basic plant science or superior academic achievement may be substituted for the required experience.
Superior Academic Achievement Provisions:
1. A grade-point average (GPA) of B (3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale) for all completed undergraduate courses, or courses completed in the last two years of undergraduate curriculum; or
2. A grade-point average (GPA) of B+ (3.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale) for the required courses in your major field of study, or required courses in your major completed in the last two years of undergraduate study; or
3. Rank in the upper one-third of your class in the college, university, or major completed in the last two years of undergraduate study; or
4. Election to membership in a national scholastic honor society, other than freshman honor societies.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Part-time and/or unpaid experience related to this position will be considered to determine the total number of years and months of experience. Be sure to note the number of paid or unpaid hours worked each week.
Or a Combination: Education and experience may be combined to meet the basic qualifications. For a full explanation of this option please see the Qualification Standards. Special Instructions for Foreign Education: If you are qualifying by education and/or you have education completed in a foreign college/university described above, it is your responsibility to provide transcripts and proof of U.S. accreditation for foreign study. For instructions on where to fax these documents, see the "Required Documents" section of this announcement.
Flexible Spending Accounts - http://www.fsafeds.com/fsafeds/index.asp
Health Insurance - http://www.opm.gov/insure/health/index.asp
Leave - http://www.opm.gov/oca/leave/index.asp
Life Insurance - http://www.opm.gov/insure/life/index.asp
Long Term Care Insurance - http://www.ltcfeds.com
Retirement Program - http://www.opm.gov/retire/index.asp
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application will be evaluated first for the basic qualifications described above. The applications that meet the basic qualifications will be evaluated further against the following criteria:
- Ability to prepare maintenance schedules.
- Knowledge of horticulture and grounds management operations.
- Knowledge of a variety of trees, shrubs, annuals, perennials, grasses and vines.
- Knowledge of pesticide use and safety and proper use of personal protective equipment.
- Ability to use equipment, supplies & materials associated with proper horticulture means and methods.
Best Category - Meets the minimum qualification requirements and excels in most of the job related competencies above.
Better Category - Meets the minimum qualification requirements and satisfies most of the job related competencies above.
Good Category - Meets the minimum qualification requirements, but does not satisfy most of the job related competencies above to a substantive degree.
This category rating process does not add veterans' preference points or apply the "rule of three", but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. A selecting official may make selections from the highest quality category (Best Category) provided no preference eligible in that category is passed over to select a non-preference eligible in that category unless the requirements of 5 U.S.C. 3317(b) or 3318(b) are satisfied.
Preference eligibles who meet minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-9 grade level or higher.
Applicants who have not submitted a resume in the USAjobs system and/or have not answered all of the vacancy questions will not be considered for this position.
Your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses to the occupational questionnaire or other assessment tool for consistency. If a determination is made that you have rated yourself higher than is supported by your resume, you will be assigned a rating commensurate to your described experience. Your resume should provide detailed information regarding how your education and experience relate to this position, including the major duties and qualifications criteria listed.
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Public Trust - Background Investigation Drug test required No