Field Service Engineer
6 days left
- Full Time
Join an innovative team that is responsible for transforming the customer experience by creating and bringing to market new products and services based upon globalized connectivity without boundaries. We reach beyond the traditional satellite industry and the broader communications landscape. As part of the Intelsat vision, we will define new products with the performance, features, and flexibility required to open new profitable markets, drive new revenue streams and ensure the most reliable and secure communications globally. To accomplish our goal, we are looking for bold thinkers who will continue our legacy of innovation for decades to come.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Field Service Engineer position provides support and/or leads complex L2/L3 engineering and maintenance activities associated with telecommunications systems and services. Roles & responsibilities to include service activations, project implementations, and may extend into supporting or leading design and development engineering activities within a collaborative engineering workflow environment. Position ensures the specifications, implementation, performance, and maintenance of teleport systems, services, and infrastructures deliver the highest standard of service possible to our customers and users. Position ensures engineering policies, processes, procedures, and guidelines are implemented and maintained in accordance with Field Service Engineering Group established standards. Fulfillment of roles and responsibilities is collaborative in scope with the Field Service Engineering Group, and across Intelsat engineering groups as applicable. Position possesses strong competencies with the application of tools, systems, and engineering standards associated with the roles & responsibilities of this position. Performance of duties is within the centralized Field Service Engineering management organizational structure in place.
- Provides engineering technical support for all assigned teleports & 3rd Party locations, projects, programs, and initiatives.
- Leads technical resolution when performing emergency restoral actions on ground station equipment, including: up converters, down converters, HPA's, fiber optic subsystems, LNA/LNB's, antennas, IP and Baseband equipment (modems, multiplexers, DVB and Broadband technology platforms) and video systems.
- Provides teleport on-site technical support to applicable technologies and ground station equipment, providing guidance to others on operational and maintenance procedures, and providing technical training on equipment or product and services as required.
- Serves a technical lead role in operating and maintaining a wide variety of ground station equipment and communication systems.
- Serves in engineering support role as assigned for analysis, design, development, and implementation activities
- Serves a teleport technical lead role in the installation, testing and successful turn-up of new systems & services, installing and configuring equipment, associated wiring and cabling, and administrative requirements.
- Leads preventative and periodic maintenance checks of ground station equipment and associated sub-systems, validating recordings and reviews for any anomalies and taking the appropriate action to correct.
- Determines proper methods for testing equipment and RF/IF systems chains and interpret the results to verify normal/abnormal conditions of equipment.
- Provides expertise for troubleshooting problems related to complex operations issues down to Lowest Field Replaceable Unit (LFRU) or to a component level replacement when applicable.
- Proactively monitors the conditions of commercial services.
- Supports the development and enhancement of engineering and maintenance procedures, reviewing/auditing system performance indicators and training others in the proper use of the procedures.
- Investigates, proposes, and implements equipment or system enhancements to improve reliability, increase efficiency, simplify operation, or reduce overall operating and/or maintenance cost.
- Assumes teleport responsibility for the implementation of new services, including: racking and stacking of equipment, cable fabrication and testing, documentation generation and updating.
- Prepares reports and updates for service status changes, maintenance planning requests, fault repairs/restorals and engineering change processes, reviewing these documents on a regular basis to maintain an awareness of ongoing items and issues within the network and the station.
- Develops and provide training to new Engineers pursuant to both established training programs and those under development, assessing training outcome as a third party auditor for other teams or team members.
- Interfaces with Operation Centers and Teleport Engineering in the role of teleport support to facilitate repair or enhancement to the systems as required.
- Provides formal witnessing of SSOG / or other acceptance tests, as required.
- Provides technical support to other groups, as required.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- A Bachelors degree and a minimum of three (3) years work experience, or an equivalent combination of education and work experience Must have an in-depth knowledge of systems level architecture and ground station equipment.
- CCNA certified or equivalent experience preferred.
- Demonstrated in-depth working knowledge of Satellite Earth Station technologies required.
- Must have working knowledge of RF theory, and basic electronics, with specific expertise with a majority of major systems to include: antenna drive systems, High Power Amplifiers, Up/Down Converters, Fiber Optic sub-systems, Baseband (modems, multiplexers, Broadband and IP technologies) and Video technologies/systems.
- Must have demonstrated in-depth knowledge of and ability to use industry standard test equipment such as spectrum analyzers, frequency counters, power meters, synthesized generators, oscilloscopes, video wave form meters, multimeters, microwave network analyzers, network analyzers, and bit error rate test sets.
- Must have a demonstrated ability to learn new technologies, understand intricate technical concepts and make informed decisions.
- Good written and oral communication skills in English required.
- Must have basic knowledge of personal computers and Microsoft Office software.
- Must be able and willing to travel to field service locations as necessary.
- This role is subject to ITAR; candidates must be a US Person (this includes US Citizen, Permanent Resident or Protected Individual such as an asylee or refugee).
- These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees assigned to this job.
- Company description: Intelsat is the largest provider of fixed satellite services worldwide. We enable providers of media, telecom and government services to deliver information and entertainment to people at home, in the office or on the move. On a day-to-day basis, Intelsat supplies video, data and voice connectivity in approximately 200 countries and territories for approximately 1,800 customers, many of which Intelsat has had relationships with for over 30 years. Some of the world's leading media and communications companies, multinational corporations, Internet service providers and government/military organizations hallmark Intelsat's customer base. Customers access capacity through extensive service offerings, which include transponder services, hybrid managed services combining satellite capacity and terrestrial facilities, and channel services.