Director, Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (1152-679)
The Director, Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) is a key role in the Global Public Health Division and will lead a team in designing and implementing tailored monitoring and evaluation activities. The position will supervise the development of the necessary data collection instruments, methodologies and management protocols to collect data for use in reporting, communications and course-correction. The Director will work with staff across the division and country teams to develop project research/learning agendas, including identifying knowledge gaps and developing research objectives to answer specific questions aimed at informing programming and communicating impact. The Director will liaise with Divisions and Departments within USP to support organizational M&E and impact thinking. The Director will promote a culture for M&E within the Division, supervise a small team of M&E professionals in HQ, and have functional management of country M&E staff in Nigeria, Ethiopia and Indonesia.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- In coordination with program staff, lead the design, implementation, and ongoing revision of an M&E system that adheres to USAID guidelines and meets the needs of GPH for learning, analysis, and reporting. For non-USAID funded projects, ensure compliance with donor requirements related to project monitoring and reporting.
- Provide overall support, advice, and oversight on program-level M&E and oversee data collection efforts, currently managed through the Newdea platform.
- Provide technical assistance in the development, selection, and application of M&E processes and tools, ensuring quality and consistency
- Ensure quality of data through implementation of data verification procedures including routine data quality audits carried out during the project lifecycle
- Establish learning processes , and facilitate the identification, analysis and synthesis of lessons learned from program implementation, ensuring that lessons and best practices are incorporated into future initiatives
- Supervise, train, and mentor M&E staff on key M&E concepts, tools, and processes
- Design the evaluation methodology and participatory data collection methods and protocols for both performance and impact evaluations to support system improvements by providing critical information and evidence to inform problem definition, impact measurement, and programmatic and policy decisions at all levels (as appropriate)
- Support the communication of outcomes to stakeholders at multiple levels in collaboration with program and communications staff and promote the dissemination of project information internally
- Prepare a variety of documents, primarily for communications purposes but also technical one sin appropriate cases as well as visual representations of data for both internal and external audiences including publications and case studies
- Provide leadership for knowledge management and disseminating lessons learned and best practices to support scale up
- Use data to contribute towards strategic decision-making and project planning with project leadership
- Liaise with the Strategy and Business Development Division to support M&E efforts across the organization, including informing organizational thinking about measuring USP’s impact.
- Cultivate strategic M&E relationships and alliances with other donor health projects and represent M&E activities in public and professional circles through meetings, conferences, and presentations
- Master’s degree in Public Health, Demography, Statistics, Economics, or a related field
- At least 10 years of experience developing and implementing M&E systems and training staff on their use; including managing a team of M&E professionals
- Experience with M&E for USAID or other donor-funded programs with a focus on health systems strengthening as well as developing learning agendas
- Strong analytical skills advanced knowledge of M&E data analysis software, such as SPSS, Stata; experience with Excel and data visualization applications required
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing
- Experience with performance management such as developing and monitoring M&E plans and indicators, and disseminating learning
- Experience with evaluation and operational research to measure intended outcomes and answer evaluation and learning objectives, including designing and conducting assessments and surveys and developing appropriate methodologies and data collection tools
- Excellent communication skillsKnowledge of the pharmaceutical industry and regulatory authorities preferred
- Strong analytical skills and ability to present data visually required
- Ability to travel internationally when required
Yes – Senior Specialist, M&E and Specialist M&E
USP offers an impressive benefits package, including:
- Generous paid time off – 13 paid holidays, 10 sick days and 15 vacation days per year to start
- An annual 401(k) contribution, beginning after 1 year of service, of 10% of pay (base and bonus) every pay period that vests immediately
- Comprehensive individual and family healthcare plans with affordable premiums and low annual deductibles ($250/individual or $500/family)
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) is a scientific nonprofit organization that sets standards for the identity, strength, quality, and purity of medicines, food ingredients, and dietary supplements manufactured, distributed and consumed worldwide. USP’s drug standards are enforceable in the United States by the Food and Drug Administration, and these standards are used in more than 140 countries.
Being a part of USP means belonging to a diverse culture made up of more than 1,000 talented professionals working together at five international locations. We share our expertise in science, IT, human resources, quality assurance, communications, administrative management, and more...all to support an overall mission dedicated to making a difference by providing standards and programs that help improve the quality of medicines, dietary supplements, and foods worldwide.
USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities.
USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.Job Location Rockville, Maryland, United States Position Type Full-Time/Regular