General Manager of Fair Trade Sales and Distribution
General Manager of Fair Trade Sales and Distribution
UPAVIM Crafts – Berkeley Springs, WV
What UPAVIM is all About:
UPAVIM (Unidas para Vivir Mejor- United for a Better Life) is based in Guatemala City, Guatemala in a challenged community. The mission of our organization is to empower the women of our community, giving them an opportunity to improve the quality of life, for themselves and for their families. We pursue this mission by giving women access to education, employment opportunities, daycare services for their children, health care services, and programs for personal and professional development.
UPAVIM Crafts is a not-for-profit fair trade program that was started to help the women fund the community based projects UPAVIM was running while at the same time provide an income for the women in the community that are members. It is now more than 30 years old and sells crafts all over the world. www.upavim.org
There is a small U.S. based distribution center and shop based in Berkeley Springs, WV. Berkeley Springs is a small mountain town that has artists and spas and attracts tourists from all over. The cost of living is low. The wholesale/retail online business sell mostly to customers in Canada and the USA. The very small shop, The Itty Bitty Global Gift Shop, sells fair trade only products from around the world sourced from other members of the Fair Trade Federation. Having a US base enables the women to get a fair wage for their work and to increase their marketing potential.
About the General Manager of Sales and Distribution Job:
UPAVIM is seeking a full-time Manager with marketing/sales skills to increase net revenue for our handmade products. This person should have a strong background and proven track record in sales with the ability to manage the business and tiny shop on a small budget. This is a job that requires wearing many hats, multitasking, flexibility, being creative and learning all aspects of the business. Interpersonal skills and leadership capability are paramount as great teamwork is important to our success. A “can do” attitude is a must. Working knowledge of Spanish is a plus and knowledge of, and commitment to, Fair Trade is preferred. Dedication to the cause would be essential. This position reports to the Board of Directors of our Foundation – UPAVIM Community Development Foundation (UCDF).
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
- Examine new opportunities and potential markets
- Work within a proposed budget to perform a relatively inexpensive but effective marketing strategy
- Develop marketing strategies via social media, website, publicity, media outreach, customer engagement and communication.
- Develop, direct and analyze sales to increase the customer base and retention strategies to maximize customer satisfaction
- Cultivate relationships with business contacts and vendors
- Build relationships within the Fair Trade community for PR and partner marketing
- Be active in Berkeley Springs Community Outreach and involvement
- Purchase Fair Trade only goods for the shop/work on displays
- Do offsite sales when opportunities arise
Management, Communications and Finance
- Oversee and lead the small team for maximum performance and engagement, but keep a happy, inspired staff that love what they do.
- Oversee UPAVIM’s US office’s finances, budget and inventory with staff.
- Monitor revenue and expenses on a monthly basis to ensure you are working within budget
- Liase with the staff in Guatemala on orders, money, shipments, and quality control.
- Oversee content development and visual presentation of sales materials and online presence opportunities
- Provide excellent customer service for loyalty and brand support
- Keep supplies, equipment and building maintained plus good presentation outside to public for small shop
- Packing orders when needed
- Attend board meetings 2 x/year
- Report to board Crafts advisor on a schedule set by you and that person
- Oversee the storage, quality control and movement of inventory on hand
- Check in new inventory from shipments for shop and UPAVIM
- Oversee the fulfillment of products and customer care associated with product sales
- Analyze sales beginning of year and decide which products in inventory to discontinue
Qualifications and Skills Needed:
- College degree in related field with relevant work experience or equivalent professional experience
- Retail/Wholesale sales experience and proven track record for growth
- Knowledge of Quickbooks, Excel, 3D cart or other electronic commerce system, Word, Constant Contact, Google analytics, web analysis tools and Photoshop is helpful
- Great communication skills
- Excellent management skills and proven ability to oversee a small team and design and create a fulfilling and dynamic work environment.
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills
- Eye for design and trends
- Display skills
Salary starts at $32,000. End of year commission based on meeting targets. Benefits include 12 days vacation/sick leave/year plus 5 holidays. $200/month towards health insurance plan.
Please send an e-mail letting us know where you heard about the job and why you would love to work for UPAVIM Crafts. Also include your incredible resume and send to : firstname.lastname@example.org
Please no phone calls – Start date October 1, 2018 - Qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview. There will be a 3 month overlap with current manager for training purposes. Applications due by Aug. 10, 2018 or until position is filled .