Occasional travel - A reasonable amount of travel is required.
Relocation expenses reimbursed Yes Relocation or recruitment incentives MAY BE offered.
THIS IS A BARGAINING UNIT POSITION UNDER NTEU.
May be required to complete a one-year probationary period, if not previously completed in a competitive or excepted service position.
Applicants must meet all qualifications requirements within thirty (30) calendar days of the closing date of this announcement.
Time-in-Grade: Current Federal employees must meet time-in-grade requirements by the closing date of this announcement to receive consideration.
A qualified candidate's online application and resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position is defined as:
1. Demonstrated experience with atmospheric science numerical models, mesoscale meteorology simulations and observations, high performance computing, the Weather Research and Forecasting model, or statistical analysis of meteorological data sets.
2. Demonstrated knowledge of boundary layer meteorology, including the effects of complex terrain or air-sea interaction.
Your application and resume should demonstrate that you possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs). Do not provide a separate narrative written statement. Rather, you must describe in your application how your past work experience demonstrates that you possess the KSAs identified below. Cite specific examples of employment or experience contained in your resume and describe how this experience has prepared you to successfully perform the duties of this position. DO NOT write "see resume" in your application!
- Knowledge of program planning and management techniques to serve as manager of atmospheric science research within the wind energy resource characterization program area.
- Mastery of advanced concepts, theories, principles, practices, methods, and techniques necessary to serve as the office’s subject matter expert on atmospheric science.
- Knowledge of budgeting processes.
- Knowledge of the technical requirements and research needs of wind energy resource characterization with a specific emphasis on atmospheric science matters.
- Skill in written and oral communication techniques.
CTAP/ICTAP candidates: To be considered "well qualified" you must meet all of the requirements as described in this section.
This position requires specific educational requirements (also known as a "positive educational requirement"), you must submit documentation supporting any education claims in your application when you apply for this position. Education must be obtained from an accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Foreign education must be reviewed by an organization recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For special instructions pertaining to foreign education and a list of organizations that can evaluate foreign education, see the Department of Education website.
A. Degree in physical science, engineering, or mathematics that included 24 semester hours in physical science and/or related engineering science such as mechanics, dynamics, properties of materials, and electronics.
B. Combination of education and experience -- education equivalent to one of the majors shown in A above that included at least 24 semester hours in physical science and/or related engineering science, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
- The U.S. Department of Energy fosters a diverse and inclusive workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, please visit the links at the bottom of this page or visit the FedsHireVets website.
- If you believe that you are eligible for the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP), please visit the OPM ICTAP/CTAP website for more information. In order to be considered under the ICTAP program, your application must score within the pre-established "well qualified" category as stated in the Qualifications section.
- More than one selection may be made from this vacancy announcement.
- Some positions may require completion of a probationary period or a background investigation.
- All males must abide by laws regarding Selective Service registration. To learn more about this law, visit the Selective Service web page, Who Must Register.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy: http://www.usajobs.gov/raps
Veterans' Information: http://www.usajobs.gov/vi
Selective Service Registration: http://www.sss.gov/
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
The Department of Energy uses an application tracking system to evaluate the responses you provide in the applicant assessment questionnaire to place you into an initial quality category via OPM's Category Rating procedures. Then, the HR Office and/or Subject Matter Expert (SME) will conduct a quality review of your application and supporting documentation to ensure you have been placed into the appropriate quality category.
Your application is rated based on the extent and quality of your experience, education (when applicable), and training as described in your resume and applicant assessment. Your credentials are measured against the established duties of the position at the grade level(s) being advertised.
The quality categories are usually defined as "Best Qualified", "Well Qualified", and "Qualified", although they may differ slightly based on individual agency policy.
If you are eligible for career transition assistance plans such as ICTAP or CTAP, you must meet the definition of "well qualified" which is defined as having a score of 85 or better.
If you are a Veteran Preference eligible candidate, you will be listed at the top of whichever quality category your rating places you in. CP/CPS veterans are placed at the top of the highest category for all positions except professional and scientific positions at GS-9 and higher.
If your resume is incomplete or does not support the responses you provided in your online questionnaire, or if you fail to submit all required documentation before the vacancy closes, you may be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score may be adjusted accordingly.
To preview questions please click here.