Maintenance Trainee Rail Car
- High School Diploma with two (2) years of Vocational Training in Electrical, Mechanical or Electronics
- A minimum of one (1) year related work experience in the electrical, mechanical or electronics field.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license issued from the jurisdiction of residence. Safe driving record with no more than four (4) points and one (1) moving violation accumulated over the past three 3 years.
- Associate’s degree, or vocational or technical school degree in in Electrical, Mechanical or Electronics
Satisfactorily complete the medical examination for this position, if required. The incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of this position either with or without reasonable accommodations.
The Maintenance Trainee, Rail Car is a student level position leading to graduation from WMATA Technical Skills Program (TSP) and assignment as a C Level Rail Car Mechanic. The incumbent is responsible for satisfactorily completing all formal (i.e. classroom) and On the Job Training (OJT) assigned over the two (2) year-long TSP program. At all times, the employee will be under the close supervision of Rail Car Mechanics while on OJT.
- Attends formal training classes related to basic, intermediate and advanced rapid transit rail car vehicle maintenance. Gains familiarity with and develops skills in the maintenance, inspection, repair, removal, installation, troubleshooting, testing and calibration of WMATA rail cars vehicles and equipment.
- Under the direct oversight of assigned journey level mechanics, uses hand tools, power tools and test equipment to inspect, diagnose and repair WMATA rail car vehicle vehicles and equipment malfunctions in accordance with safety and maintenance procedures and practices.
- Completes all documentation and reports associated with the operation and maintenance of WMATA rail car vehicles and any required training documentation.
- Provides assistance to supervisors and mechanical staff in emergencies by securing or safeguarding WMATA equipment, fire/life/safety, snow emergencies, etc. according to established safety practices and maintenance guidelines.
The essential duties listed are not intended to limit specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Nor is it intended to limit in any way the right of managers and supervisors to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision.
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Personal Interview
- Skills Assessments
- Verification of education and experience
- Criminal Background Check
- Successful completion of a medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening
- Review of a current Motor Vehicle Report
Order of Prefrence: The order of preference for the Maintenance Trainee Rail Car is defined by the respective collective bargaining agreement.
Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, a Federal contractor, is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, physical or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law, except where a bona fide occupational qualification exists. Our hiring process is designed to be accessible and free from discrimination.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.