The Communications Coordinator is a vital member of the staff of Foundry United Methodist Church, a large downtown Washington DC church whose diverse, ecumenical congregation and tradition of leadership in the community date to 1814. The Communications Coordinator shares Foundry’s core values, among them a belief in Christ and His teachings, the commandment to serve others and to act and speak for the powerless, a compelling desire for diversity and full inclusion of all God’s children in the life of the church, and the critical nature of curiosity and intellectual honesty as we discern God’s path for us.
The Communications Coordinator is the primary, virtual voice of Foundry, helping translate and represent our digital and print neighbors, leading the digital presence of “radical hospitality”. The role includes creating and managing internal and external communication that sparks spiritual curiosity, cultivates spiritual growth, and moves others to bear witness to Foundry’s mission, values, services, and discipleship activities. They ensure high quality content and strategies for social media, website optimization, print pieces, and other media outlets while utilizing Foundry language.
Communication and Branding
- Coordinate with contracted design firm to implement a comprehensive external marketing strategy that sparks spiritual curiosity and brings new people into the church including but not limited to traditional mediums (newspaper, billboards, radio, television, etc.) as well as online and social media
- Coordinate and manage a comprehensive internal communications strategy that increases the participation of attenders in the overall mission of Foundry including but not limited to Sunday announcements, emails, web content, and social media
- Ensure that all communication (both internal and external) expresses the mission and values of Foundry in a cohesive and unified voice
- Support and coordinate all public relations campaigns for social justice events, Sunday services, and/or programs, including the creation and delivery of press releases
- Work with the Business Administrator and Senior Pastor for media related activities and serve as spokesperson as requested
- Act as liaison with communications contractor (currently Live Design) to coordinate projects as needed
- Build a strong network of interpersonal relationships, existing ministry teams, and new ministry teams to cultivate grassroots and word-of-mouth promotion of Foundry’s mission and events
- Strategically streamline systems and processes so that events for all ministries are appropriately prioritized and communicated through Planning Center Online
- Maintain a promotional calendar that includes all known ministry events, community events, programs, sermon series, campaigns, to include timelines of announcements of when events occur
- Assist contracted firm with website re-design
- Update website and social media content through the filter of the Foundry lens
- Coordinate all content and delivery of verbal Sunday announcements
- Strategize and execute promotion of all church and ministry related events
- Meet with clergy and ministry teams to ensure effective promotion of their activities
- Photograph events, programs, and people as needed
- Sunday coverage for events and social justice initiatives. Travel with Senior Pastor, Social Justice Pastor, or other clergy requesting to capture social media coverage.
- Occasionally assist other staff members with event/ministry photography and social media coverage
- Participate in Operations meetings as needed, All Staff meetings and Worship Planning meetings required.
- College Degree and/or 1-3 years experience in relevant field.
- Experience in utilizing social media to highlight social justice issues and full inclusivity of all persons
- Keen knowledge of a hospitality ethos, customer service principles, and practices
- Knowledge of computers and relevant software applications is a must (i.e. introductory knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Microsoft Office Suite, BaseCamp, Planning Center (preferred)
- Mission Ownership:Demonstrates understanding and full support of the ministry, mission, goals and Statement of Call of Foundry United Methodist Church.
- Interpersonal Skills:
- Display a level of maturity which will ensure that appropriate boundaries are in place and that he/she will adhere to principles of staff covenant with specific attention to honoring privacy, and confidentiality of both staff and congregation, and abiding by Safe Sanctuary policies as applicable and necessary.
- Exemplify a commitment to diversity and inclusion in all areas of the workplace.
- Demonstrate a positive, engaging, and respectful attitude at all times.
- Demonstrate a willingness to accept additional responsibilities and duties.
- Team Building Skills: Participate in staff meetings and team planning activities.
- Recognizes the importance of, and practices, maintaining healthy personal and professional boundaries, accepting full responsibility for one’s own work, understanding its limits, and avoiding interference in the work of others.
- Maintains a healthy work/life balance, giving appropriate attention to personal development, self-care and enjoying a sabbath day for rest and reflection.
- Organization Skills: Demonstrate the ability to:
- Focus, prioritize, schedule and manage multiple projects and tasks.
- Honor commitments and meet deliverables on time.
- Communicates effectively in written and spoken communication.
- Develop and implement checklists when appropriate.
- Technical Skills: Possess the ability and willingness to:
- Operate common office equipment.
- Understand, implement, and convey essential computer programs.
- Learn new programs/equipment and recommend appropriate processes.
- Spiritual Maturity: Attentive to personal spiritual development, discipline, and growth.
Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com