PR & Marketing Specialist III
Job Category : Classified Staff
Working hours :
Salary : Commensurate with education and experience.
Web Announcement :
Alumni Outreach Officer
The George Mason University Office of Alumni Relations is hiring two (2) Alumni Outreach Officers. Alumni Outreach Officers will initiate relationships with Mason alumni and help identify University-wide volunteer and philanthropic prospects. The primary role of the Alumni Outreach Officers will be to solicit feedback and refer the alumnus/na to their area(s) of particular interest.
George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masonâ€™s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Primary Responsibilities: Secure Visits to Gather Stories and Perspectives (60% of time)
- Manage a portfolio of approximately 1,200 alumni annually to encourage them to stay connected, informed and involved; recruiting and expanding Masonâ€™s professional network; and encouraging annual giving.
- Connect with alumni based on Advancement, University, and Alumni Association priorities through email, social media, phone calls, and face to face meetings either at Mason or in areas/regions of alumni work or residence.
- Initiate contact and secure face-to-face visits and meetings via phone and email outreach.
- Conduct 200 unique qualifying visits annually, an average of four visits per week.
- Maintain awareness of University fundraising priorities (University and school/unit) and alumni programs and volunteer opportunities.
- Communicate the strategic vision of Mason and the Alumni Association and our commitment to developing innovative alumni programs to advance and support the Mason graduate.
- Plan and execute trips within budget Identification, Tracking and Follow Up (30% of time)
- Utilize technology, including Advance (database system) and ORBIS (reporting system) to run queries and exports to identify alumni for engagement, and maintain excellent information with the internal database to improve alumni outreach.
- Complete contact reports on all communication and outreach with alumni to assist in the cultivation process, as well as update alumni profiles with all relevant information (i.e. contact/address information, email updates, and employment information).
- Gather alumni information and success stories to support effective research and the recognition of alumni accomplishments (including follow up and sharing information on story leads with university, advancement, alumni relations, and academic unit communications teams).
- Identify alumni prospects for a variety of volunteer and volunteer leadership opportunities, including but not limited to: board and committee service, career services, academics and research, student and young alumni programs, affinity groups, events and programs, regional outreach, and admissions/recruitment. Customer Service, Professional Development, and Miscellaneous (10% of time)
- Assist with major alumni events, including: Alumni Weekend (fall), Homecoming (spring), Celebration of Distinction (spring), and Graduation/Commencement (fall & spring).
- Support regional alumni programs.
- Provide exceptional customer service to our alumni, acting with the greatest amount of professionalism and ethical standards.
- Actively enhance professional development by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; attending appropriate conferences, participating in webinars and professional organizations, building relationship with colleagues at Mason and other universities and develop a strong network of colleagues.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications: This unique opportunity is ideal for a self-starter who has initiative, drive, and the ability to initiate contact and consistently pursue alumni leads. Candidates should be curious and genuinely interested in hearing the stories of how Mason impacted the lives of alumni.
- A bachelorâ€™s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Significant professional experience preferably in Higher Education, sales, customer service, marketing, nonprofit organizations, or recruitment;
- Must have the ability to effectively articulate Masonâ€™s educational mission, strategic aims, philanthropic priorities, as well as, the strategic priorities and goals of the Alumni Association both verbally and in writing;
- The ability to meet face to face with various alumni and handle constituent concerns while maintaining high levels of confidentiality;
- The ability to work effectively as a team member and work on multiple projects in a fast-paced and highly diverse environment;
- Must possess strong leadership, organizational and customer relations skills;
- The ability to read, analyze, and interpret complex documents and respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries;
- The incumbent(s) must have reliable transportation since this position requires regular regional travel, and periodic nationwide travel; and
- The ability to work night and weekend hours. Preferred Qualifications:
- Mason alumni are encouraged to apply.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Close Date :