Photoengraver (Electronic Pre-Press)
Occasional travel - 1-5 nights per month
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Job requires hand and eye coordination, prolonged walking and standing, intermittent light to moderate lifting and ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; requires good eyesight and ability to perform appropriate functions in various lighting conditions. Work may require energetic arm movement when plates are processed by hand. In addition, the work requires frequent lifting and carrying of platemaking materials weighing up to 23 kilograms (50 pounds).
You must show in your experience in online application that you possess the knowledge, skill and abilities to perform the duties of the position. You must meet the screen-out element, Ability To Do The Work Of The Position Without More Than Normal Supervision, normally addressed at the beginning of the online questions. In addition, you must also obtain an average score of two (2) on all other elements for this position as addressed through the online question in order to be considered minimally qualified.
The experience may have been gained in either the public or private sector or volunteer service. To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/day/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week on your résumé.
SUITABILITY, CLEARANCE & REQUIREMENTS: A background investigation will be required for all new hires. Appointment will be subject to the applicant’s successful completion of a background investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements will be grounds for disqualification in the hiring process. The background investigation process conducted by the Bureau of Engraving and Printing is very thorough. Therefore it is imperative that applicants exercise candor and honesty when answering background questionnaires, especially as it relates to arrest, employment, education, finances, illegal drug use, and/or other criminal history. Falsification discovered in security documents or during the background investigation process may result in an immediate negative suitability determination or immediate revocation of your interim clearance (if applicable).
Work is performed under conditions of light to dark illumination in various color light, in the presence of dust, fumes, sundry solvents, and chemicals. Excessive eyestrain may result from working for extended periods of time with computer monitors. The incumbent is exposed to potential skin and breathing irritations from inks, solvents, dust, and the inherent risk of injury involved with operating large machinery with many moving parts. Injuries such as bruises, lacerations, hand cuts, etc. may occur when handling plates and skin irritation may result from contact from plate processing chemicals. Work areas are usually well lighted, ventilated and heated, however, platemakers may be exposed to unpleasant odors from chemicals used to develop the plates. Incumbent is exposed to high noise levels due to the operation of machinery, and works around moving parts on the large equipment. The incumbent observes all safety rules, regulations, guides, and reports any accidents and safety hazards to the supervisor.
- We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies.
- This is a bargaining unit position.
- We offer opportunities for flexible work schedules.
- The facility shuts down annually between Christmas and New Year's Day. Employees must take leave for work days during the shutdown period.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- A one year probationary period may be required.
- Complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment, at the time requested by the agency
- If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
- Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
- Go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form I-9. Federal law requires verification of the identity and employment eligibility of all new hires in the U.S.
- Submit to a drug test prior to your appointment.
- You may be required to pass a pre-employment physical examination.
- Obtain and use a Government-issued charge card for business-related travel.
- Wear required safety clothing and/or equipment required by the position. This may include safety shoes, hard hats, hearing protection, gloves, masks, etc.
- Shift Work: This facility operates on a 24 hour per day, three-shift basis. Assignment to a specific shift cannot be guaranteed. The successful applicant must be available to work on all three shifts on a rotational basis.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application includes your résumé, responses to the online questions, and required supporting documents. Please be sure that your résumé includes detailed information to support your qualifications for this position; failure to provide sufficient evidence in your resume may result in a “not qualified” determination.
Rating: Your application will be evaluated in the following areas: Ability To Do The Work Of The Position Without More Than Normal Supervision (Screen-Out Element), Operation of (specify equipment machinery, etc.), Technical Practices (theoretical, precise, artistic), Ability To Interpret Instructions, Specifications, etc. (other than blueprints). Category rating will be used to rank and select eligible candidates. If qualified, you will be assigned to one of three quality level categories, Gold, Silver, and Bronze depending on your responses to the online questions, regarding your experience, education, and training related to this position. A subject matter expert may be used in the evaluation. Your rating may be lowered if your responses to the online questions are not supported by the education and/or experience described in your application.
Veterans' preference is applied after applicants are assessed. Preference-eligibles will be listed at the top of their assigned category and considered before non-preference-eligibles in that category. Qualified preference-eligibles with a compensable service-connected disability of 10% or more will be listed at the top of the highest category.
Referral: If you are among the top qualified candidates, your application may be referred to a selecting official for consideration. You may be required to participate in a selection interview. We will not reimburse costs related to the interview such as travel to and from the interview site.
If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee (eligible for the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP)) you must be assigned the middle category or better to be rated as “well qualified" to receive special selection priority.
To preview questions please click here.