The Office of the Registrar
Exempt, Regular, 100% FTE, Pay Grade 2.1
Location: Academic Center at Largo
University of Maryland University College Office of the Registrar is a forward thinking, innovative office with a focus on building staff competencies in the Registrar profession using AACRAO Competency frameworks. The Office is seeking an Assistant Registrar who will be responsible for managing the day to day operations within the Incoming Transcript unit. The Assistant Registrar is jointly responsible for the supervision and leadership of the Incoming Transcripts unit, its processes, and the staff. The Assistant Registrar specifically focuses on the intake of transcripts, test scores, certifications and other pertinent student records through the enterprise content management software along with the student information system. The incumbent will ensure that all received educational records are logged, screened, scanned and data entered accurately. The position is a service oriented position and will ensure that the staff delivers excellent customer service when supporting students, staff, faculty and others (internal and external). The role will also manage a unit of staff with duties to include coaching and mentoring each team member on performance standards, correcting errors and creating/analyzing reports on key performance metrics. The Assistant Registrar will also oversee the screening process of transcripts scanned into the enterprise content management software, distribution and completion of Salesforce cases, receipt of mailed student documents, track proper responses in relation to unit standards and ensure phone coverage within the unit (having calls answered under the agreed upon Service Level Agreements (SLAs)). As a member of the management team, this position plays a key role in creating an office environment that engages the office staff, builds efficiencies to support the campus needs and provides leadership for excellent customer service to the academic community. The candidate will also be expected to engage staff in frequent meetings to discuss key performance metrics and additional performance standards related to the position.
- Demonstrated ability to independently manage projects, provide technical assistance, and solve computing and business operations problems while meeting appropriate deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and communicate technical concepts, practices, and protocols to a non-technical audience; and, to provide systems training and solutions.
- Experience using complex databases; ability to define specifications for database programming. Proficiency manipulating and analyzing large volumes of data.
- Knowledge in selecting and training staff, setting goals and evaluating performance, providing timely and helpful guidance and feedback, assigning and managing a unit's workload ensuring accuracy and timely completion of tasks.
- Skill in analyzing and applying academic policy to office operations and incorporating creativity to meet client needs.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree
- 2 years of management related experience
- 2 years of experience with a Student Records system such as PeopleSoft/Banner and document management systems
- 1 year of experience dealing with confidential issues (documents or other)
- Proficiency in scanning, imaging, and student information systems
- Ability to effectively lead diverse and dynamic team
- Ability to problem solve and trouble shoot technical issues through a solution based approach
- Understanding of transfer credit and accreditation policies and practices
- Microsoft Excel and Word
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master's degree
- 3 years of increased responsibility related to OOR duties specific to student records
- Proficiency with standard office software internet, and email applications.
- Strong knowledge of common University-specific computer application programs
- Advanced specialized knowledge of particular Registrar core functions
CRITICAL AACRAO COMPETENCY ALIGNMENT AND LEVELS REQUIRED:
Entry Level: Identifies the problem and considers potential solutions.
Entry Level: Ability to communicate and interact with others individually and in groups. Work well as part of a team and communicate effectively with a variety of constituents. Awareness of how one interacts with others. Includes verbal and non-verbal communication skills and listening skills.
Recordkeeping Services and Data Stewardship:
Intermediate: Understanding of institutional policies regarding student recordkeeping and a basic understanding of state and federal laws. General comprehension of the various means of recordkeeping (electronic, paper, archival) and the related systems. Conversant in the policies and practices governing access to student records by campus constituencies and outside agencies or individuals.
Data Systems Management:
Entry Level: Basic understanding of office operations. Basic understanding of system functionality. Verbal and written communication skills.
Knowledge of Student Records Management Law, Policy, and Governance
Intermediate: General awareness of student privacy issues and those laws and regulations governing the safe keeping of student records. Familiarity with available resources (online, publications, etc.) on laws and policies related to student data.
Management and Leadership Skills:
- Display effective problem solving skills to successfully troubleshoot data transmittal issues to allow for the accurate upload of electronic transcripts and listed course(s) to assist with the transfer audit process.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills. Excellent planning, organizational, analytical, problem solving, and customer satisfaction skills. A strong knowledge of document management systems is also required.
- Innovation and growth mindset.
- Understanding of FERPA policies in relation to the protection of student information.
- Always questioning status quo to drive new processes and practices that create efficiency, accuracy, and accountability to stakeholders.
- Focus on maximizing student success and minimizing cost to students in time, resources, money, and opportunity
- Create unity and a positive and encouraging work environment by actively discouraging divisiveness and disharmony and encouraging communication and transparency in the department - holding both staff and other managers accountable
- All units in the Office of the Registrar (OOR) need to work together to move the office forward through innovation with new technologies, collaboration in sharing ideas and keeping the student first mentality as a guiding principle in our planning.
- Leadership should hold each other accountable for making meaningful changes.
UMUC Core Competencies:
- Adaptability: Ability to manage competing demands, structure priorities to achieve results and effectively multi task. Seeks guidance and feedback to ensure performance is aligned with objectives.
- Business Acumen: Understands cost/benefit analysis and business implications of decisions. Serves as model for excellent customer service.
- Change Management: Effectively operates in complex, constantly changing environment. Champions change as opportunity for growth. Builds commitment and overcomes resistance. Communicates change effectively.
- Communication: Presents ideas in a clear, concise, professional manner. Demonstrates active listening skills and recognizes value of others ideas. Understands “audience” by anticipating needs and reactions. Respects cultural differences of diverse groups. In conflict situations, demonstrates grace, tactfully expresses opinions, welcomes others ideas and negotiates effective solutions.
- Entrepreneurial Orientation: Demonstrates willingness to take calculated risks to achieve business results. Is not confined by “status quo”. Embraces creative solutions and seeks process improvements. Strongly supports use of use of technology at all levels.
- Global Perspective: Recognizes UMUC's arena is global. Seeks ways to broaden base of UMUC's operations globally. Seeks global solutions to challenges and opportunities.
- Ethical Behavior: Models UMUC Core Values. Honors UMUC and applicable USM Policies. Complies with all federal, state and local regulations.
- Strategic Thinking: Takes responsibility for building own strong knowledge base. Demonstrates focus on goal achievement; resists distraction. Identifies gaps and solutions that bridge current reality and intent for future. Employs creative and critical thinking in strategy development. Is responsive to good opportunities. Leverages organizations strengths and seeks to improve/minimize its weaknesses. Analyzes market and competition. Develops goals that create value for the organization.
- Visionary Leadership: Provides vision and inspiration to peers and subordinates. Demonstrates willingness to mentor and be mentored. Receptive to ideas and suggestions. Encourages and supports development of UMUC employees. Focuses on achievement of long term mission.
Key Metrics of Job:
- Manages average throughput for 200-250 transcripts and other student record related documents daily.
- Assists and directs troubleshooting for 30-50 calls per day along with 50 to 100 Salesforce cases from internal and external customers.
- Manages processes with a 1 business day turn around.
- Provides motivation, recognition, development and mentoring to staff.
1. (60%) Provide general supervision and management of the staff within the Incoming Transcript (specific to the Receive/Processing staff) unit. Ensure transcripts are accurately linked to the student's record, screening is appropriately performed and data entry is completed for all transferrable course work. Create and execute action plans for staff within the unit through a performance based coaching program. Monitor the completion of Salesforce cases to ensure that they are completed under the agreed upon SLA, using the proper email format related to external and internal customer service standards. Ensure phone calls are answered using appropriate customer service standards developed by the unit.
2. (15%) Identify, create, and run reports to capture unit metrics and performance. Provide world-class customer service by assisting with phone call and email requests and addressing escalated concerns from the team.
3. (20%) Ensure the effectiveness and quality of the documents scanned, screened and data entered to information management system and student information system.
4. (5%) Perform other duties as assigned
Total = 100%
1. Performance Management
- Clearly defines work expectations.
- Recognizes and rewards individuals for a job well done.
- Addresses performance issues immediately and directly.
- Conducts performance appraisals annually.
- Assists staff members in addressing challenges and skill deficits.
- Assigns work that uses staff skills and talents, provides responsibility and challenge, allows for creativity and offers leadership opportunities.
- Continually provides guidance and support to team members.
- Encourages continuous growth and mutually develop/implement learning and development plans for direct reports.
3. Organization Health
- Is easily visible and/or accessible to faculty and staff members.
- Establishes and ensures effective and ongoing communications.
- Ensures employee satisfaction by providing leadership for the comprehensive and continuous measurement of organizational health and implementation of action plans.
4. Recruitment and Retention
- Recruits and retains talented, results-oriented team members.
- Selects staff who can demonstrate both the professional requirements and UMUC core Values.
- Develops and maintains effective succession and contingency plans on an annual basis to ensure bench strength and continued operations.
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY & WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.If you are an external candidate, you will have the option to create an account after you submit your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to apply to additional jobs.