Temporary Billing Coordinator (Law Firm)
TEMPORARY BILLING COORDINATOR
LOCATION: Washington, D.C.
HOURS: Monday through Friday, 9:00 A.M. to 5:30 P.M.
The Billing Coordinator will be responsible for coordinating the billing process for all assigned billing attorneys, including preparing client bills to effectively and efficiently meet the needs of the legal staff and firm clients. The Billing Coordinator provides assistance to attorneys and legal administrative assistants in all areas of billing matters.
- Reviewing bill requests to ensure information is accurate and complete, including ensuring all appropriate approvals have been obtained
- Identifying matters with escrow and/or unapplied cash balances and coordinating with the billing attorney and the Cash Group for application to outstanding balances
- Identifying inconsistencies or errors on bill requests and contacting the respective billing attorney to resolve any problems
- Working with billing attorneys to identify special billing requirements for clients
- Ensuring bill formats and procedures are revised to meet requirements
- Verifying accuracy of timekeeper billing rate(s) prior to processing final client bills
- For assigned attorney matters, processing all draft bill edits, including transfers of fee and/or disbursement entries to correct client/matter(s) as submitted on bill request
- Processing time entry corrections in accounting system
- Upon completion of edits, ensuring timely redistribution of revised draft bill requests to responsible attorneys
- Working with billing and responsible attorneys to coordinate requested bill reversals and processing same
- Assisting Cash Group to ensure proper posting of payment application
- Ensuring billing attorneys and responsible attorneys have provided detailed explanations for billing exceptions, including all billing adjustments to ensure bill requests are in compliance with firm guidelines
- Preparing and sending notifications to the designated Business Intake Committee member(s) to ensure appropriate approvals are obtained
- As needed, coordinating activities with Division Administrative Coordinators, attorneys, and/or Business Intake Committee members to resolve billing issues and to ensure timely processing of bills
- Performing regular and consistent follow-up with assigned billing attorneys to ensure bills are received in Accounting and processed in accordance with monthly billing deadlines
- Keeping and maintaining monthly bill log in order to follow up regularly on the billing status and to report delinquent billing to Firm Management as requested
- Providing guidance and responding to inquiries from firm attorneys and legal administrative assistants relating to billing policies, procedures, and processes
- Assisting firm personnel with questions regarding accounts receivable, WIP balances, and other billing questions
- Communicating directly with clients as needed to assist in answering questions, providing data, and or maximizing billing efficiency
- Providing ad-hoc reporting and account analysis as needed on matters of responsibility
- Processing monthly e-billing for assigned matters ensuring that all timekeepers are approved, specific e-billing guidelines are in place, and task plans are utilized and communicated to timekeepers in an effort that rejections are minimized; coordinating the prompt follow-up and resolution of e-bill rejections
- Filing monthly bills and back-up in accordance with established policies and procedures
- Assisting other billing staff with processing of bill requests as needed
(Skills & Technical Requirements)
- At least 3-5 years of prior accounting experience required, including e-billing experience; legal billing experience utilizing Aderant of Elite strongly preferred
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook required
- Thorough understanding of bill processing, including policies and procedures
- Thorough understanding of electronic billing processes, including the creation of LEDES files and using third party e-billing submission systems
- Ability to review, interpret, and implement client billing guidelines
- Intermediate mathematical skills
- Data entry skills
- Ability to communicate in both verbal and written form, including ability to respond to billing inquiries via e-mail, in person, or over the phone
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to interact with individuals at all levels of the organization as well as client contacts
Please submit your resume in Word format to: email@example.com.
We look forward to hearing from you!