Senior Systems Development Engineer
Join an innovative team that is responsible for transforming the customer experience by creating and bringing to market new products and services based upon globalized connectivity without boundaries. We reach beyond the traditional satellite industry and the broader communications landscape. As part of the Intelsat vision, we will define new products with the performance, features, and flexibility required to open new profitable markets, drive new revenue streams and ensure the most reliable and secure communications globally. To accomplish our goal, we are looking for bold thinkers who will continue our legacy of innovation for decades to come.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Intelsat's Senior Systems Development Engineer supports the company's Development Engineering team in lab testing, evaluating and bringing to market, new technologies and services that complement Intelsat's core, Managed Services product offerings. Provide expert-level solutions that take into account appropriate redundancy, availability, scalability, security, and manageability requirements needed for the successful launch of new products and services or enhancement to existing product and services.
- Working primarily in a lab environment and under the guidance of more senior engineers, is responsible for testing and evaluating the latest products and/or code releases from key OEM vendors for use within Intelsat's satellite and terrestrial networks.
- Perform systems integration tasks associated with establishing a test environment, to include: Upkeep and assisting with maintenance needs of lab infrastructure, installing vendor equipment, fabricating and running cables, establishing the IP network environment for various testing scenarios, setting IF/RF levels and configuring a simulated and/or over-the-air satellite network environment for various testing scenarios.
- Analyze and compare vendor product specifications with actual test results, and provide recommendations.
- Assist in the preparation of engineering test plans, test procedures, test reports and training materials.
- Represent the department at all times as a technical SME.
- Participate in meetings and activities to support and represent Development Engineering.
- Develop and maintain project plans and schedules to support completion of new technology testing consistent with schedule required for new or improved product rollout.
- Manage testing and evaluation plans to budget.
- Communicate and coordinate all aspects of technology testing and evaluation progress to responsible Product Manager, Program Manager and others as appropriate.
- Document and comply with prescribed recordkeeping processes and procedures.
Required Knowledge, Skills, And Abilities
- Must have a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or a similar discipline (or an equivalent combination of education and work experience) with at least five years of hands on experience.
- Must have RF experience in either Satellite, Microwave or Cellular technologies
- Must have basic IP networking skills
- Must have some experience in testing communications systems and/or components
- Knowledge of the functionality of TCP, UDP and application layer protocols and working knowledge of routing protocols preferred.
- Experience in RF communications preferred, including: VSAT systems RF signal processing technologies and modulation techniques. Satellite modem technologies, including DVB-S, DVB-S2, DVB-S2X ACM, VCM, CCM, and carrier cancellation. Ability to configure lab test setups utilizing equipment such as spectrum analyzers, DSP's, network analyzers, equalizers, noise generators, power meters, and signal generators. Experience with other platform-based systems utilizing technologies from vendors including Gilat, Hughes, ViaSat and others highly desireable. Strong analytical skills, including the ability to develop and manipulate spreadsheets, analyze empirical test results and compare to vendor published performance specifications preferred. Excellent written and oral communication skills required in order to interface with various levels of employees and to provide recommendations to management for higher level decision making. Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) and/or Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP) preferred.
- This role is subject to ITAR; candidates must be a US Person (this includes US Citizen, Permanent Resident or Protected Individual such as an asylee or refugee).
- These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees assigned to this job.
- Company description: Intelsat is the largest provider of fixed satellite services worldwide. We enable providers of media, telecom and government services to deliver information and entertainment to people at home, in the office or on the move. On a day-to-day basis, Intelsat supplies video, data and voice connectivity in approximately 200 countries and territories for approximately 1,800 customers, many of which Intelsat has had relationships with for over 30 years. Some of the world's leading media and communications companies, multinational corporations, Internet service providers and government/military organizations hallmark Intelsat's customer base. Customers access capacity through extensive service offerings, which include transponder services, hybrid managed services combining satellite capacity and terrestrial facilities, and channel services.