Staff Accountant II
Position: Staff Accountant II Type of Position: Full-time Permanent
Employer: Senior Service America, Inc. Location: Silver Spring, Maryland
Senior Service America, Inc. (SSAI) is a non-profit organization that provides civic engagement and employment opportunities for adults age 50 or older who wish to reenter the workforce. SSAI is a dynamic work environment where its every day efforts help vulnerable seniors get the help they need. Visit our website at www.seniorserviceamerica.org.
SSAI is in search of a Staff Accountant II, to join its Finance Unit. The Finance Unit is responsible for the procedures and policies that assure the sound and efficient functioning of SSAI’s financial activities.
As a Staff Accountant II you will:
- Maintain general ledger and journal entries for assigned programs.
- Conduct financial analyses and projections with clear explanations
- Prepare monthly and quarterly reports and statements.
- Investigate non-routine transactions or differences in accounts and inform appropriate staff and develop a recommended course of action.
- Working with the Program Finance Manager, manage account payables and receivables.
- Drawdown funds from the government or other funding source. Responsible for knowing funding source requirements, to include: draw down procedures, account and contact information, and banking requirements.
- Work with the Controller or designee to ensure that inter-company transactions and accounts are reconciled. Monitor cash balances of assigned accounts. Process all inter-company cash account transfers and coordinate with others the recording of the transfers.
- For assigned programs prepare required reports to be submitted to federal agencies and other funding sources.
- Maintain project module to ensure that all required postings of budgets / budget modifications, cooperative agreements, and other grants are current and that the project module reconciles to the general ledger
- BA/BS degree in accounting, or finance / management with concentration in accounting.
- Minimum of three years of accounting experience with background in general ledger account analysis, accounts payable and receivables, and financial analysis.
- Minimum three years hands-on experience with computerized accounting systems and Microsoft Office applications.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles.
- Detailed oriented, with problem-solving skills, and initiative-taking.
- Strong communication, interpersonal skills, and customer service.
How to Apply
Interested candidates must submit all of the following documents to email@example.com. Recruitment will continue until position is filled.
- Cover letter with salary requirements and three verifiable professional references; and
- Incomplete packages will not receive further consideration.
About Senior Service America, Inc.
SSAI’s mission is to promote older persons (especially those with low and moderate incomes) as a resource for improving communities and workplaces. Since 1968, SSAI has been funded by the U.S. Department of Labor to operate the Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP). SSAI also has been funded by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the Department of Agriculture (USDA ACES) and the Forest Service (USDA FS). SSAI provides paid community service employment opportunities to more than 10,000 low-income seniors 55 and over through a diverse network of 62 local sub-grantees in 13 states and provides employment opportunities for seniors (enrollees) who can provide technical and administrative assistance in the areas of environmental inspection, regulations, and conservation related programs in 27 states.