Position: Senior Accountant Type of Position: Full-time Permanent
Employer: Senior Service America, Inc. Location: Silver Spring, Maryland
Senior Service America, Inc. (SSAI) is a non-profit organization that provides civic engagement and employment opportunities for adults age 50 or older who wish to reenter the workforce. SSAI is a dynamic work environment where its every day efforts help vulnerable seniors get the help they need. Visit our website at www.seniorserviceamerica.org.
SSAI is in search of a Senior Accountant to join its Finance Unit. The Finance Unit is responsible for the procedures and policies that assure the sound and efficient functioning of SSAI’s financial activities.
As a Senior Accountant you will:
- Perform and oversee recurring production processes and maintain critical and fundamental accounting information. Reconcile and prepare general ledger account analyses/schedules and adjust entries as required. Investigate transactions or differences in accounts, inform appropriate staff, and recommend course of action for corrections
- Prepare moderately complex routine and non-routine financial analyses reports projections and statements. Identifies trends within financial analyses.
- Review AP vouchers and journal entries for all departments for coding accuracy
- Verify and reconcile monthly invoices for the various fringe benefits to ensure accuracy of payment such as invoice from health providers, third party providers, etc. Prepares vouchers and processes payments (or on-line payments) for each
- Prepares HQ health insurance census reports as requested annually in preparation of policy renewals
- Prepare cash flow analysis daily
- Prepare various quarterly and annual reports as required by various state and governmental agencies
- Assists in year-end audit preparation by creating work papers and gathering pertinent documents
- Maintain and reconcile staff pension plan transactions and activities
- Serves as support / backup for processing bi-weekly payroll.
- Provides prompt follow-up and accurate responses and information to stakeholders
- BA/BS degree in accounting, or related field. Master’s degree in a related field is a plus.
- Minimum five years of successful experience in accounting.
- The individual should be detailed oriented, possess problem solving and analytical skills, and have ability to use advanced computer skills including use of functions in standard software application (i.e., spreadsheet, word processing, presentation and database tools, Microsoft Excel, Word & Outlook).
- Demonstrated ability to execute advanced functions in financial application software, and apply computer technology in new ways.
- Possesses a strong command of grammar usage including verbal and written skills to influence others and achieve appropriate results and/or affect.
- Possesses interpersonal skills and know how to work collaboratively and diplomatically with others to achieve goals.
- Works effectively and in a timely manner when processing confidential and time sensitive documents.
How to Apply
Interested candidates must submit all of the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org. Recruitment will continue until position is filled.
- Cover letter with salary requirements and three verifiable professional references; and
Incomplete packages will not receive further consideration.
About Senior Service America, Inc.
SSAI’s mission is to promote older persons (especially those with low and moderate incomes) as a resource for improving communities and workplaces. Since 1968, SSAI has been funded by the U.S. Department of Labor to operate the Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP). SSAI also has been funded by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the Department of Agriculture (USDA ACES) and the Forest Service (USDA FS). SSAI provides paid community service employment opportunities to more than 10,000 low-income seniors 55 and over through a diverse network of 62 local sub-grantees in 13 states and provides employment opportunities for seniors (enrollees) who can provide technical and administrative assistance in the areas of environmental inspection, regulations, and conservation related programs in 27 states.