Library Specialist II
Job Category : Classified Staff
Working hours :
Salary : Expected starting salary $38,000
Web Announcement :
Research and Instruction Support Specialist
The George Mason University, University Libraries is looking for an enthusiastic and energetic individual to fill the role of Research and Instruction Support Specialist at the Mercer Library, on the Science and Technology (SciTech, formerly Prince William) campus in Manassas, Va. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masonâ€™s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Responsibilities: This position will work closely with research and instructional staff in the Science and Technology team, both on the SciTech and Fairfax campuses. The primary purpose of the position is to provide, support, develop and deliver instruction, reference and research; to support library circulation functions and general facility/environmental operations; and to manage the day-to-day functions of assistive technology equipment, media technology, and media collection maintenance. The incumbent will also serve as the point person for copyright support; as well as provide direct public service support for circulation and interlibrary loan (ILL) services.
Depending on the academic calendar and team schedules, this position will work Tuesday â€“ Saturday 9:30AM-6PM; work schedule/hours may change during intersession, exams, and to accommodate the staffing needs of the Mercer Library.
Required Qualifications: Applicants must have the education level and following abilities and skills:
- Bachelorâ€™s degree or significant library experience that may be equated to a bachelorâ€™s degree;
- Instruction/teaching skills (individual and group) with some knowledge and use of current instructional technologies, for distance and residential education;
- Knowledge of library research concepts, processes, and services, including knowledge of research resources;
- Broad knowledge of library public and access services (particularly customer service principles); as well as assistive support and technology, media, data and copyright policies, procedures, and systems and technology;
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills (written and oral) for providing customer service in a diverse, academic environment and for interacting with library staff and vendors; and ability to work within a library team environment;
- Demonstrable technology skills with a commitment and ability to learn and use current information technologies: online library systems, catalogs, and research databases;
- Well-developed organizational and time management skills, including ability to manage competing priorities, meet deadlines, understand the impact of work on others, and exercise good judgment;
- Aptitude for accurate and detail-oriented work;
- Ability to think creatively, recognize problems, and propose solutions to remedy a situation;
- Ability to remain calm, negotiate fairly and rationally, and exercise sound judgment under time pressure or in emotionally-charged situations; and
- Physical ability to safely and independently move materials, including mail packages (up to 40 pounds) and push loaded book trucks. Preferred Qualifications:
- Citation software experience.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Close Date : 2018-08-20