Engineering Technician II - Design
3 days left
- Full Time
Under general supervision of the Supervisor, Water Main Design, performs routine engineering computations, design, and drafting of water mains and related facilities.
Performs routine engineering computations, design, and drafting of water mains and related facilities, including the following activities:
- Research of existing records (plans, as-builts, maps, etc.) for project-related information.
- Perform calculations using field survey data for the design and drafting of water main installation projects.
- Design and drafting of water main plans and profiles in AutoCAD in accordance with Fairfax Water and Virginia Department of Health standards.
- Preparing quantity take-offs from project plans and computing detailed cost estimates for water main installation projects.
- Preparing purchase requisitions and other project-related information and entering in SAP Enterprise Resource Planning software.
- Preparing, submitting and tracking permit packages for Virginia Department of Transportation and other agencies to support water main construction.
- Reviewing utility and roadway construction plans for conflicts with Fairfax Water facilities and for potential water system improvements.
- Preparing routine correspondence as needed.
Performs other department related activities by:
- Preparing visual aids, charts and graphics for presentations.
- Periodically performing special tasks or calculations.
Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Associate’s Degree in civil engineering or related field, or related certificate supplemented by coursework in engineering, drafting, surveying, and mathematics used in civil engineering, and a minimum of six years related experience in civil engineering drafting and design, or any equivalent combination of education, experience and knowledge.
- Strong knowledge of civil engineering drafting methods, principles and practices, and ability to perform related tasks.
- Knowledge of utility and water main design and construction practices.
- Knowledge of survey practices and related computations.
- Ability to read and interpret construction plans and specifications.
- Strong knowledge of and significant experience using AutoCAD. Experience using MicroStation is preferred.
- Strong computer skills including experience using ArcGIS, Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers, supervisors and others.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license and good driving record.
- Must pass a controlled substance (drug) test for employment.