Education Support Specialist III
Job Category : Classified Staff
Working hours :
Salary : Commensurate with education and experience.
Web Announcement :
Coordinator for Student Success--ADVANCE Program
The George Mason University, Division of University Life is looking for an enthusiastic and energetic person for a Coordinator for Student Success for the ADVANCE Program. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masonâ€™s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
In service of the ADVANCE program, targeted at creating and sustaining seamless pathways for transfer students from NOVA to Mason, University Life seeks to provide support in transition and navigation from a holistic perspective.
The Coordinator for Student Success will supervise the development, implementation, execution and day-to-day operations of the student services and success coaching components of ADVANCE program. The Coordinator must have a strong understanding of the partnership between Mason the other commonwealth institutions, particularly Northern Virginia Community College (NOVA), and be able to leverage that knowledge to ensure students are able to take full advantage of the program. The Coordinator will supervise a team of coaches who lead efforts to guide participating students throughout the duration of their time in the program.
We seek a candidate who is able to lead change and innovation in a complex environment, support the development of professional staff, collaborate across colleges and departments, and contribute to the overall goals and objective of the unit.
- Provide supervision and leadership to a staff of professional success coaches who serve as constant and immediate source of support for students, highly visible, extremely accessible, well known, and available at Mason, at NVCC campuses, and online.
- Monitors coach caseload and student oversight, with attention to student progress and performance, problem areas, and intervention activities and processes for students.
- Train and lead team to provide proactive advisement and coaching for continuing students in the ADVANCE program.
- Work collaboratively with curriculum teams and colleges to provide base, ADVANCE pathway specific academic advising for students as they transition from NOVA to Mason; advise on initial use of 4-year course sequencing plans and refer to major-specific advisor upon full transition to Mason campus.
- Serves as liaison to various units across Mason University Life, NOVA Student Life, and other areas to coordinate the availability and promotion of key co-curricular engagement opportunities for ADVANCE students. Provides support for student and campus engagement through familiarity with campus programs and resources, involvement opportunities, and career development support.
- Develops and implements assessment plan for the coaching and student services experiences of ADVANCE students.
- Identifies systemic barriers that inhibit student progression through programs and works to eliminate procedural barriers at all levels of institution. Required Qualifications:
- Familiarity with cognitive development theory of college age students and/or career development theory.
- Experience working with transfer students, particularly adult degree students.
- Experience with or demonstrated knowledge of academic advising, orientation, disability services, veteransâ€™ services, career services, student involvement, and student rights and responsibilities.
- A proven track record working in Student Affairs, Student Services or Higher Education Administration.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems, coordinate and organize meetings and/or special events.
- Ability to analyze course prerequisites, and graduation requirements.
- Ability to work successfully with special student populations including, but not limited to: first-generation, veteran, low income, adult, and underrepresented individuals.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in managing academic student success programs and services.
- Familiarity with Constituent Relationship Management (CRM) software, database software and student information systems.
- Strong written and oral communication skills as well as strong student service orientation required.
- Ability to work independently as well as function as part of a team.
- Ability to analyze problem situations, identify feasible solutions, and present recommendations in a concise, logical, and systematic manner.
- Demonstrated commitment to and sophisticated understanding of issues affecting the academic achievement and retention of students from diverse backgrounds.
- Bachelors Degree or a combination of education and significant demonstrated experience. Preferred Qualifications:
- Masterâ€™s degree in higher education, student affairs, counseling or other related field preferred.
- Certification in Coaching preferred.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Close Date :