Administrative Assistant, Executive Office
Position Summary: Reporting to the Executive Assistant, the Administrative Assistant supports the work of the office of the Executive Director and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) through the performance of a variety of administrative duties. Tasks may include maintaining daily appointment calendar for CEO, assisting with meeting and travel arrangements, conducting research, and completing special projects as assigned. Serving as administrative support backup to the Executive Assistant, this position resides in a fast-paced office and requires a high degree of discretion, tact, and initiative to assist in creating an environment of accessibility and professionalism in the executive office.
Major Functions and Responsibilities
Provide administrative support to the Executive Assistant with all aspects of the work of the executive office (30%)
- Prepare, review, and proof documents/correspondence for the executive office; ensure adherence to protocol for approval of documents.
- Screen incoming correspondence and phone calls.
- Manage calendars and meetings for the executive office.
- Coordinate arrangements for domestic and international travel, including drafting itineraries and preparing travel reimbursements.
- Provide information as needed; requires a comprehensive knowledge of the NAFSA mission and operations.
- Serves as administrative support backup to Executive Assistant.
Provide support to activities related to office of the Executive Director, Board of Directors, and NAFSA staff (15%)
- Provide administrative support to the Board of Directors; preparing materials, travel reimbursements, and responding to inquiries.
- Maintain and update corporate records, including board member contact information, meeting minutes, action items, background materials, bylaws, standing rules, board operations guidelines, and articles of incorporation.
- Provide support to the Executive Assistant on board and governance matters as needed.
Assist with meeting planning and coordination of special events, including NAFSA annual conference, International Education Week, and other events throughout the year (10%)
- Provide administrative support associated with the planning, scheduling, and logistics of special events for the executive office, as well as staff and board activities and NAFSA annual and regional conferences.
- Send invitations, track correspondence, and confirm attendance of guests and speakers.
- Coordinate meeting logistics for NAFSA sponsored activities.
Document management, archiving activities, and recordkeeping (15%)
- Assist with document management, archiving, and recordkeeping associated with the Board and Governance Committee.
- Assist with Board committee records, maintaining a centralized system of collection; organizing and preserving important documents and information.
Perform other duties as assigned by the Executive Assistant and Executive Director and CEO (10%)
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Administrative experience in a fast-paced, professional environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including demonstrated ability to prepare executive-level correspondence and materials with outstanding attention to detail and accuracy
- Experience managing senior staff calendars as well as scheduling domestic and international travel
- Excellent organizational and time management skills; ability to prioritize and meet multiple, competing deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to deal discretely with confidential information
- Proficiency with all aspects of Microsoft Office suite products
- Experience supporting the work of senior-level staff in a nonprofit environment
- Experience working with a nonprofit, membership, or higher education organization
- An interest in international education and familiarity with communications with universities, or legislative or executive branches of government
- Ability to speak a language other than English and a familiarity with international politics or international affairs also would be beneficial
As representatives of a membership organization with a broad and diverse range of activities related to education and training, NAFSA staff possess more than simply specialized capabilities. Each individual is expected to take the initiative to become knowledgeable about the organization as a whole. Association members and other staff expect colleagues to be accessible and responsive, to convey a positive attitude, and to exhibit a high degree of professionalism.
The workday is generally 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The week after Memorial Day to Labor Day, it is 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on Friday.
Travel is required occasionally related to job responsibilities, especially for the annual conference, regional meetings, and other leadership meetings. Participation in the NAFSA annual conference the week of Memorial Day, including the holiday itself, is a job requirement. The annual conference is held in varying cities.
About NAFSA: Association of International Educators
NAFSA: Association of International Educators is an organization of people dedicated to building a global community and fostering a more peaceful world through advancing international higher education. With approximately 10,000 members, NAFSA is the world’s largest professional development and advocacy organization committed to international learning and creating a more globally engaged, welcoming, and educated United States.
NAFSA believes that international education advances learning and scholarship, fosters understanding and respect among people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives, is essential for developing globally competent individuals, and builds leadership for the global community. We believe that international education lies at the core of an interconnected world characterized by peace, security, and well-being for all.
NAFSA is a workplace that not only appreciates diversity but believes it is our strength, and we strive to create an inclusive culture for all our team members. NAFSA is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Learn more about NAFSA at www.nafsa.org.