Office of Chief Counsel, IRS Honors Program
Occasional travel - Limited travel may be required.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Your application includes your resume, responses to the online questions, and required supporting documents. Please be sure that your resume includes detailed information to support your qualifications for this position, as failure to provide sufficient evidence in your resume may result in a “not qualified” determination.Required Qualifications:
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement:
Class Rank Requirement:
- J.D.: Top 25% class rank required (if school does not provide class rank information allowing us to determine if a student is in the top 25%, such as individual class rank or honors for students in a certain percentage of the class, at the time a selection is made, then a minimum GPA of 3.4 is required; if the school does not provide class rank or GPA at the time a selection is made, a minimum LSAT of 160 is required) OR
- Tax LL.M. (including those in combined J.D./Tax LL.M. programs) who have completed any LL.M. coursework: Must satisfy the J.D. class rank requirement above or have a minimum GPA of 3.3 in the LL.M. program (if the LL.M. program does not provide GPAs, a minimum LSAT of 160 is required);
- Must attend an ABA accredited law school; and
- Must be a U.S. citizen.
- Special high-level recognition for academic excellence in law school, such as selection to Order of the Coif or receipt of the American Jurisprudence Award in related courses; or top grades in tax or related course work (e.g., “A” grades in tax courses);
- Evidence of background or experience in the position to be filled, such as taking relevant law school classes (e.g., tax law, bankruptcy/debtor creditor law, administrative law) or relevant legal or tax experience (e.g., tax legal experience) or relevant tax volunteer experience (e.g., VITA, Tax Clinic);
- Work or achievement in the law school’s law review or other recognized law journal;
- Winning a moot court or mock trial competition or membership on a moot court or mock trial team
You must have graduated with a J.D. and/or a Tax LL.M. from an ABA-accredited law school before you begin the Honors Program position
- We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies. Positions may be filled in one or more of the cities indicated in the announcement.
- Relocation expenses are not authorized.
- A one-year trial period is required.
- Need to execute an employment tenure commitment, generally for a 3 year period.
- Must successfully complete a background investigation.
- Complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment, at the time requested by the agency.
- If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, please certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
- Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
- Go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form I-9. Federal law requires verification of the identity and employment eligibility of all new hires in the U.S.
- Obtain and use a Government-issued charge card for business-related travel.
- Undergo an income tax verification.
- The employment of any candidate, including a current employee or a new hire, selected for this position may be conditional upon classification and/or audit of federal tax returns. This audit may include up to two years of returns.
- This is a bargaining unit position.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Rating: Your application will be evaluated using the requirements in the qualifications section.
Referral: Veterans' preference is applied after applicants are assessed. Preference-eligibles will be listed at the top of the referral list and considered before non-preference-eligibles. All other candidates will be listed below those with preference. If you are among the top qualified candidates, you may be required to participate in a selection interview. We will not reimburse costs related to the interview, such as travel to and from the interview site.
Applications will be reviewed and selections may be made after each of the following dates: August 10th, September 4th, and September 30th.
To preview questions please click here.