Agricultural Commodity Grader
76% or greater - Extensive travel may be required.
Relocation expenses reimbursed Yes Relocation expenses are authorized.
- Selection and retention in this position is contingent on a successfully adjudicated FBI National Criminal History Check (fingerprint check) and a background investigation.
- Successful completion of a 1 year probationary or trial period (if new hire to the Federal service).
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment medical examination.
- Commodity grading work requires periods of physical exertion to lift and move boxes, cartons and heavy packages of product (often weighing over 50 pounds); prolonged periods of standing, walking, stooping, bending, and climbing; physical coordination and finger dexterity in at least one hand to perform digital examinations of commodities; normal or corrected vision in at least one eye for distance, depth perception, and color to detect abnormalities in product; the ability to assure safety in a highly-mechanized and/or noisy environment through adequate or correctable hearing; use of both legs, arms and hands to perform carrying, pulling, pushing, reaching above the shoulder, kneeling, grasping, and working with hands in water; and the ability to determine product quality organoleptically (e.g., through sight, smell and/or taste).
- The work environment includes exposure to freezing and/or hot temperatures, fumes, dust and odors from coolants, slippery surfaces, moving materials, handling equipment, high noise level and similar risks typical of fruit and vegetable and related processing plants, storage areas, terminal markets, peanut buying points and shelling facilities. The work environment further requires working in close proximity to others and/or alone; working on weekends and overtime; traveling for extended periods of time; working multiple shifts and changing/rotating shifts (i.e., first, second and third); and operating a motor vehicle via a valid driver’s license.
- Locality pay will vary based upon the selectee’s duty location. A final salary determination will be made upon selection.
- Prior to an official offer, selectee will be required to sign and return a memorandum of understanding (MOU) to this office acknowledging and accepting that geographic mobility is a condition of employment. Failure to sign the MOU will be grounds for withdrawal of the job offer.
Applicants must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of the announcement including the following specialized experience and/or education, as identified by grade level.
FOR THE GS-5 LEVEL: Applicants must have 3 years of general, progressively responsible experience, one year of which was equivalent in level of difficulty and responsibility to the GS-4 level in the Federal service. Experience must demonstrate the ability to:
- Analyze problems to identify significant factors, gather pertinent data, and recognize solutions, plan and organize work;
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing. Such experience may have been gained in quality assurance (machinist, on-line production work), as a commodity buyer, receiving clerk, farm experience (in a managerial, decision- making capacity), clerical (office manager, administrative assistant with decision-making responsibility), or food processing laboratory food work (managerial, technical).
- Experience must provide evidence of the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to perform the duties of this position and show decision making responsibilities.
- General clerical experience (typing, filing, routine processing, or other non-specialized repetitive tasks) is not creditable.
OR Applicants must have successfully completed a 4-year course of study, from an accredited college or university, leading to a bachelor’s degree.
FOR THE GS-7 LEVEL: Applicants must have one year of specialized experience (equivalent to the GS-5 level) that demonstrates:
- Performs grading, sampling and/or inspection assignments of a simple and routine nature.
- Displays greater knowledge of grading principles, standards, and regulations, increased skill in identifying and describing product defect, and/or skill and knowledge in inspecting facilities.
- Draws samples of product, performs mechanical tests, attends formal training courses in grading agricultural commodities, and grades samples.
- Grades and inspects distinct products for comparison with clear standards and common contract specifications.
- Identifies and describes common product defects or diseases.
OR One full year of graduate level education in Agriculture, Mathematics, Engineering, Science, Business, Economics or related field;
OR Superior Academic Achievement: To qualify based on superior academic achievement, you must have completed the requirements for a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution AND must meet certain GPA requirements. For more details click: Superior Academic Achievement
TRANSCRIPTS are required if:
- You are qualifying for the position based on education.
- You are qualifying for this position based on a combination of experience and education.
- You are qualifying for this position based on Superior Academic Achievement.
This education must have been successfully completed and obtained from an accredited school, college, or university.
COMBINATION OF EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE AT THE GS-5/7 GRADE LEVELS: Applicants may have combinations of successfully completed education and specialized experience to meet total qualification requirements. The total percentages must equal at least 100 percent to qualify for that grade level. To learn more about combining education and experience for this series, click the following: Combining Education and Experience for Administrative and Management Positions
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Please see above for education qualification information.
- Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP), Reemployment Priority List (RPL), or Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP): For information on how to apply as a CTAP, RPL, or ICTAP eligible see https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/. To exercise selection priority for this vacancy, CTAP/RPL/ICTAP candidates must meet the basic eligibility requirements and all selective factors. CTAP/ICTAP candidates must be rated and determined to be well qualified (or above) based on an evaluation of the competencies listed in the How You Will Be Evaluated section. When assessed through a score-based category rating method, CTAP/ICTAP applicants must receive a rating of at least 85 out of a possible 100
- Persons with disabilities who require alternative means for communication of program information (Braille, large print, audiotape, etc) should contact: USDAs TARGET Center at 202-720-2600 (voice and TDD).
- Direct Deposit – Per Public Law 104-134 all Federal employees are required to have federal payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of your choosing.
- E-Verify: Federal law requires agencies to use the E-Verify system to confirm the employment eligibility of all new hires. If you are selected as a newly hired employee, the documentation you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 on your entry-on-duty date will be verified through the DHS E-VERIFY system. Under the system, the new hire is required to resolve any identified discrepancies as a condition of continued employment.
- It is the policy of the Government not to deny employment simply because an individual has been unemployed or has had financial difficulties that have arisen through no fault of the individual. See more information at: http://www.chcoc.gov/transmittals/TransmittalDetails.aspx?TransmittalID=6465
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Applications will be evaluated in accordance with Office of Personnel Managements (OPM) Delegated Examining Procedures using category rating. The category rating procedure is used to rank and select eligible candidates. Applicants who meet basic minimum qualifications will be placed in one of three categories: Best Qualified, Well Qualified, or Qualified. Within these categories, applicants eligible for veterans preference will receive selection priority over non-veterans. Category placement will be determined on applicants quality of experience and the extend they possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSA) or competencies:
- General Commodity Inspection and Grading Skills
- Communication Skills
- Decision Making, Leadership, Supervisory and Project/Program Management
- Fruit & Vegetable Grading
Your application, including the online Assessment Questionnaire, will be reviewed to determine if you meet (a) minimum qualification requirements and (b) the resume supports the answers provided to the job-specific questions. Your resume must clearly support your responses to all the questions addressing experience and education relevant to this position. Those determined to be in the best qualified category will be referred to the selecting official for consideration.
Note: If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, your rating may be lowered to more accurately reflect the submitted documentation. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating. Providing inaccurate information on Federal documents could be grounds for non-selection or disciplinary action up to and including removal from the Federal Service.
To view the application form, visit: https://ams.usda.ntis.gov/cp/?event=jobs.previewApplication&jobid=4BF4EBEF-B255-4889-861C-A90D00FCAEBC Read more Security clearance Other