Attorney (Federal Compliance)
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
The U.S. Postal Service Headquarters Law Department is seeking an experienced, hard-working attorney to fill a vacancy on the Federal Compliance team in the Ethics & Compliance group. The Federal Compliance team's primary practice areas include the Privacy Act (5 U.S.C. § 552a) and the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) (5 U.S.C. § 552). The Federal Compliance team also handles other practice areas with less frequency, such as European Union privacy laws, Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX), the Federal Register program, the Anti-Lobbying Act (18 U.S.C. § 1913), the Government in the Sunshine Act (5 U.S.C. § 552b), the anti-pandering advertisement statute (39 U.S.C. § 3008), Board of Governors governance, and legal compliance in general.
The successful applicant will work in a fast-paced environment with a heavy workload to advise internal clients throughout the Postal Service on new business initiatives involving the collection and disclosure of personal information implicating the Privacy Act as well as complex legal issues pertaining requests for records under the Privacy Act and the FOIA. The successful applicant will draft legally sound Privacy Act and FOIA administrative appeal decisions, legal memoranda analyzing complex Privacy Act and FOIA issues, and written advice to clients with citations to statutes, regulations, and case law. He or she will also create training presentations and deliver training sessions to attorneys and clients throughout the Postal Service. He or she will be tasked with contributing to team projects designed to proactively encourage compliance with statutes and regulations. In addition, the successful applicant may be tasked with ensuring compliance with SOX through filing quarterly and yearly financial reports, answering Federal Register questions and filing Federal Register notices, and completing other compliance-related projects.
We are looking for an experienced attorney with outstanding legal writing skills, substantial experience analyzing complex legal issues, excellent client relations skills, and the ability to quickly learn new areas of the law.
Come work in an energetic, lively, and collegial atmosphere on a wide range of complex, fast-paced, challenging matters.
- Ability to prepare pretrial briefs, motions, pleadings, responses and other documents to present the issues independently with little or no direct supervision.
- Ability to provide legal advice and services with respect to regulations, practices, or other legal matters, and formulate opinions involving the analysis and interpretation of federal, state and local laws.
- Ability to litigate cases before administrative bodies and federal courts.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing to include the ability to negotiate with third parties on behalf of clients and prepare legal documents and presentations.
- Ability to conduct legal research to gather and interpret information and ensure accuracy of details using resources such as internal and external documents, archives, electronic databases, and interviews.
- EDUCATION REQUIREMENT: To be eligible for the Attorney position, you must possess a Juris Doctor from an American Bar Association accredited law school.
- SPECIAL CONDITION: Qualified applicants must be a current member in good standing of a state, territory of the United States, District of Columbia or Commonwealth of Puerto Rico Bar Association.
- EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENT: At least 3 years of experience in legal practice, of which one year of the experience requirement may be met through the completion of a judicial clerkship if completed by the time of hire. The clerkship must be documented in the applicant's resume.
Please read the "Qualifications" section.
The salary will be based on previous experience, and current postal pay policies. We offer excellent benefits including health and life insurance, retirement plan, savings/investment plan with employer contribution, flexible spending, flextime scheduling of core work hours, annual and sick leave.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
We will review your resume and supporting documents to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. We will evaluate each applicant who meets the basic qualifications on the information provided and evaluate your relevant professional, educational, and work experiences as it relates to fundamental competencies, identified in the Qualifications section above, required for this position.Read more Security clearance Not Applicable