Visual Information Specialist
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
May be subject to satisfactory completion of one year probationary period.
Applicants must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of the announcement including the following specialized experience and/or education, as identified by grade level.
Specialized Experience: Specialized experience is experience directly related to the position to be filled. Specialized experience must be described for each grade level advertised. The specialized experience requirements for this position are:
At the GS-09 level:
Qualifying experience for GS-09 includes one year of specialized experience comparable to GS-07 which is directly related to the work of this position and which has equipped the applicant with the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position. For this position, specialized experience is fulfilled by the following: Planning the technical details to produce a variety of visual products, including magazines, multi-page reports, brochures, web pages, graphics, posters, exhibits, covers, charts and tables, and infographics; designing visual materials using Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop); manipulating digital photos, illustrations, and other visual materials to create artwork and designs; and preparing files for electronic or printed media.
Education: 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Master's degree or equivalent graduate degree, if directly related to the position. Related degrees include commercial art, fine arts, art history, industrial design, architecture, drafting, interior design, photography, visual communication.
A combination of education and experience as described above.
At the GS-11 level:
Qualifying experience for GS-11 includes one year of specialized experience comparable to GS-09 which is directly related to the work of this position and which has equipped the applicant with the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position. For this position, specialized experience is fulfilled by the following: Developing concepts and designing visual products using Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop); creating original artwork, manipulating photographs, and creating charts, tables, and infographics to communicate information visually using Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop); providing technical support in areas of visual information; and designing visual information materials for electronic or printed media.
Education: 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree or Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree, if directly related to the position. Related degrees include commercial art, fine arts, art history, industrial design, architecture, drafting, interior design, photography, visual communication.
A combination of education and experience as described above.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
- More than one selection may be made if another vacancy occurs within 90 days of the issuance of the certification of eligibles.
- Persons with disabilities who require alternative means for communication of program information (Braille, large print, audiotape, etc) should contact: USDAs TARGET Center at 202-720-2600 (voice and TDD).
- Direct Deposit – Per Public Law 104-134 all Federal employees are required to have federal payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of your choosing.
- E-Verify: Federal law requires agencies to use the E-Verify system to confirm the employment eligibility of all new hires. If you are selected as a newly hired employee, the documentation you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form 1-9 on your entry-on-duty date will be verified through the DHS E-VERIFY system. Under the system, the new hire is required to resolve any identified discrepancies as a condition of continued employment.
- Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP), Reemployment Priority List (RPL) or Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP): For information on how to apply as a CTAP, RPL or ICTAP eligibility see http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/. To exercise selection priority for this vacancy, CTAP/RPL/ICTAP candidates must meet the basic eligibility requirements and all selective factors. CTAP/ICTAP candidates must be rated and determined to be well qualified (or above) based on an evaluation of the competencies listed in the How You Will Be Evaluated section. When assessed through a score-based category rating method, CTAP/ICTAP applicants must receive a rating of at least 85 out of a possible 100.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Applications will be evaluated in accordance with Office of Personnel Managements (OPM) Delegated Examining Procedures using category rating. Applicants who meet basic minimum qualifications will be placed in one of two or three categories: Best Qualified, Well Qualified, or Qualified. Within these categories, applicants eligible for veteran's preference will receive selection priority over non-veterans. Category placement will be determined based on applicants quality of experience and the extent they possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSA) or competencies:
- Knowledge of Visual Information Equipment- Possesses familiarity with HTML, DHTML, data visualizations, CSS, content management systems (CMS), and multimedia in order to design correctly for multimedia applications.
- Communication- Provides guidance and advice on design, production and reproduction of visual products
- Knowledge of Visual Information Techniques- Produces a variety of visual products and materials required to explain, clarify and enhance information and data for ERS such as magazine, multi-page reports, brochures, web pages, graphics, posters, exhibits, covers, charts and tables, and infographics.
Your application, including the online Assessment Questionnaire, will be reviewed to determine if you meet (a) minimum qualification requirements and (b) the resume supports the answers provided to the job-specific questions. Your resume must clearly support your responses to all the questions addressing experience and education relevant to this position. Applicants who meet the minimum qualification requirements and are determined to be among the best qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring manager for consideration.
Note : If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, your rating may be lowered to more accurately reflect the submitted documentation. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating. Providing inaccurate information on Federal documents could be grounds for non-selection or disciplinary action up to including removal from the Federal service.
Clicking the link below will present a preview of the application form; i.e. the online questionnaire. The application form link below will only provide a preview and does not initiate the application process. To initiate the online application process, click the "Apply Online" button to the right.
To view the application form, visit: https://ers.usda.ntis.gov/cp/?event=jobs.previewApplication&jobid=1C2AD8B5-044D-41CE-AE0C-A90D0098BEDD Read more Security clearance Not Applicable