(Senior) Instructional Designer (1144-679)
Summary of the Position:
This is a hands-on position that is responsible for developing effective learning experiences for classroom and online courses. This position will work directly with Subject Matter Experts (SME) within or outside of USP, eLearning Developers and other staff to: Analyze learners background knowledge and instructional needs; determine learning goals, set instructional design expectations and guide SMEs through the definition of learning goals; develop design approach and content requirements; produce course outlines based on the learning objectives, participate in generating ideas for engaging learning activities; produce storyboards, scripts, wireframes, and other materials to communicate user experience requirements; develop materials using learning technologies expertise; create exceptional interactive learning experiences that meet the instructional intent and optimize delivery options.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Gathers and documents requirements for learning projects, identifying necessary functional components and production activities.
- Determines instructional end goals and works cooperatively with subject matter experts to create course materials that support those goals.
- Follows consistent directory structure, file naming conventions, courseware template adherence, visual continuity, consistency and professional standards for all learning products and reviews deliverables for completeness and technical functionality.
- Participates in projects as an active contributor to ensure timely, on-budget, successful completion.
- Collaborates with subject matter experts and multimedia experts to develop engaging learning activities and compelling course content that enhances retention and transfer
- Creates outlines, storyboards, scripts, training aids, activities, assessments, and other deliverables for a variety of broad range of training/learning needs. This includes working cooperatively with Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) to develop content architecture.
- Interfaces and coordinates with internal and/or external resources/suppliers for various media for each learning product - may include graphic designers, animators, videographers, video editors, sound technicians/editors, and photographers.
- Adapts instructional materials created for classroom format to webinar/eLearning format
- Adheres to project schedules and maintains official course materials
- Implements ongoing improvements to course materials in response to student feedback and trends in instructional design principles and technology
- Reviews and updates existing PE course materials to keep it current.
- Provides assistance in organizing and facilitating training sessions as needed.
- BS or MA degree in instructional design, educational technology, education or similar, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with Learning Management Systems
- Experience developing and conducting instructor-led training, either live or via webcast
- Minimum two (2) years’ experience in instructional design on scientific or technical content.
- Minimum two (2) years’ experience in PowerPoint and other MS Office applications
Senior Instructional Designer
- Minimum five (5) years’ experience in instructional design on scientific content.
- Minimum five (5) years’ experience in PowerPoint and other MS Office applications
- Minimum five (5) years’ experience with authoring tools such as Captivate, Articulate, and Storyline
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proven ability to plan and manage projects and multiple priorities concurrently with strong results/goal orientation. Adaptable to changing priorities.
- Ability to influence without direct authority and to foster strong, collaborative relationships with science content owners and other team members
- Excellent knowledge of learning theories and instructional design models
- Visual design skills and ability to storyboard
- Expert ability to create engaging learning experiences in MS PowerPoint
- Ability to write and edit effective copy, instructional text, audio scripts/video scripts
- Proven track record of consistently delivering projects on time and with high quality
- Ability to work independently
USP offers an impressive benefits package, including:
- Generous paid time off – 13 paid holidays, 10 sick days and 15 vacation days per year to start
- An annual 401(k) contribution, beginning after 1 year of service, of 10% of pay (base and bonus) every pay period that vests immediately
- Comprehensive individual and family healthcare plans with affordable premiums and low annual deductibles ($250/individual or $500/family)
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) is a scientific nonprofit organization that sets standards for the identity, strength, quality, and purity of medicines, food ingredients, and dietary supplements manufactured, distributed and consumed worldwide. USP’s drug standards are enforceable in the United States by the Food and Drug Administration, and these standards are used in more than 140 countries.
Being a part of USP means belonging to a diverse culture made up of more than 1,000 talented professionals working together at five international locations. We share our expertise in science, IT, human resources, quality assurance, communications, administrative management, and more...all to support an overall mission dedicated to making a difference by providing standards and programs that help improve the quality of medicines, dietary supplements, and foods worldwide.
USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities.
USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.Job Location Rockville, Maryland, United States Position Type Full-Time/Regular