Enterprise Architectural Director (1143-679)
This is a strategic-level non-supervisory position reporting directly to the Senior Vice President of Global Information & Services (GIS). The enterprise architect is responsible for constructing a comprehensive city plan for USP’s digital information systems, advocating for and overseeing the advancement of that plan, and adjusting that plan according to external developments that present opportunities for and threats to USP’s strategic plan. While this position is non-supervisory, it involves guiding the technical work of teammates at four sites on three continents. In addition, the position will involve critical decision making and the ability to influence senior leadership on strategic initiatives.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Manage the cataloging of USP’s digital systems and the assessment of their suitability for USP’s strategic objectives.
- Develops the architectural plan for bringing USP’s digital systems into better alignment with USP’s strategic objectives, and advocates for investment decisions that advance that plan.
- Governs a process for digital system design that improves the functionality, security, compliance, efficiency, and agility of USP’s digital business.
- Monitors technical developments outside of USP that present opportunities for, and threats to, USP’s strategic plan
- Acts as a sounding board and advisor to technical architects and portfolio managers across GIS, and to scientific and business peers across USP. Influence and develop guidelines that is followed to build USP systems.
- Develops and maintains policies, standards, and guidelines to improve quality, interoperability, and maintainability.
- Promotes the use of shared infrastructure and applications to reduce costs and improve information flow.
- Interacting with sr. directors and directors and putting together an integrated picture
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or similar field. Ten (10) years of experience and progressive responsibility in technology leading to an architecture role will be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Experience as the architect for a significant transformation program in a complex organizational and technical setting.
- Demonstrated use of design methodologies and notations such as UML, BPMN, ERD to describe an enterprise’s information and systems, and familiarity with Enterprise Architecture frameworks like TOGAF.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience establishing, overseeing or actively participating in an architectural review activity.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Critical decision making and ability to influence senior leadership
- Comprehensive knowledge of hardware, software, application and systems engineering.
- Experience leading the development of enterprise architecture roadmaps and supporting deliverables with previous experience in solution architecture.
- Experience overseeing or actively participating in the development of an IT strategy.
- Experience overseeing or actively participating in a data governance activity.
- Previous program and project management experience is highly desirable.
- Previous experience in business process design and/or re-engineering is highly desirable;
- Prior experience in a scientific based industry.
- The ability to influence without direct authority.
- Results driven with demonstrated successful outcomes.
- Ability and desire to work well with diverse employees and customers in a cooperative and friendly manner.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
No direct reports planned at this time.
USP offers an impressive benefits package, including:
- Generous paid time off – 13 paid holidays, 10 sick days and 15 vacation days per year to start
- An annual 401(k) contribution, beginning after 1 year of service, of 10% of pay (base and bonus) every pay period that vests immediately
- Comprehensive individual and family healthcare plans with affordable premiums and low annual deductibles ($250/individual or $500/family)
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) is a scientific nonprofit organization that sets standards for the identity, strength, quality, and purity of medicines, food ingredients, and dietary supplements manufactured, distributed and consumed worldwide. USP’s drug standards are enforceable in the United States by the Food and Drug Administration, and these standards are used in more than 140 countries.
Being a part of USP means belonging to a diverse culture made up of more than 1,000 talented professionals working together at five international locations. We share our expertise in science, IT, human resources, quality assurance, communications, administrative management, and more...all to support an overall mission dedicated to making a difference by providing standards and programs that help improve the quality of medicines, dietary supplements, and foods worldwide.
USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities.
USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.Job Location Rockville, Maryland, United States Position Type Full-Time/Regular