Student Trainee (Food Service Worker)
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
- Ability to do food service work without more than normal supervision (Screen-out element).
- Applicants must be 16 years of age by the closing date of the announcement.
- You must possess a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale. We do not round. GPA is based on current enrollment.
- This announcement is open to U.S. citizens, non-citizens, national or legal permanent residents.
- Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered with the Selective Service.
- Applicants must meet all qualification requirements by July 20, 2018, unless otherwise noted.
To be eligible, you must be currently enrolled on at least a half-time basis at an accredited educational institute in a degree-seeking program for Fall 2018, OR accepted for enrollment on at least a half-time basis in an accredited educational institution for Fall 2018. These institutions include (but are not limited to):
- High School
- College (including 4-year colleges/universities, community college, and junior college)
- Professional, Technical, Vocational, and Trade School
- Advanced Degree Program
- Certificate Program
- A note about certificate programs: Certificate programs are defined as post-secondary education in a qualifying educational institute and must be equivalent to at least one academic year of full-time study, as defined by your university. The certificate program must also be a part of an accredited college-level, technical, vocational, trade, or business school curriculum.
- Other qualifying educational institutions
This position has an education requirement. You must submit a copy of your transcripts or enrollment verification. Unofficial transcripts will be accepted in the application package. Official transcripts will be required from all selectees prior to receiving an official offer. Click here for information on Foreign Education.
To be eligible, you must be currently enrolled or accepted for enrollment on at least a half-time basis in an accredited high school, college (including four-year colleges/universities, community colleges, and junior colleges); professional, technical, vocational, or trade school; advanced degree program; or other qualifying educational institution pursuing a qualifying degree or certificate. Certificate programs are defined as post-secondary education in a qualifying educational institution equivalent to at least one academic year of full-time study that is part of an accredited college-level, technical, trade, vocational, or business school curriculum. Education that is in progress at the time of application review cannot be credited.
Applicants must possess a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale. We DO NOT round. A cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale is required throughout the duration of the internship. GPA is based on current enrollment. Previous GPA will not be considered when enrolling in a new academic program. For example, a high school student who graduated and is currently enrolled in the first semester of college for Fall 2018 will not have a GPA. Education will only be credited for course work completed at the time of application review. Education that is in progress at the time of application review cannot be credited.
- This position is designated as an "emergency essential" position and the selected candidate will be considered an "emergency essential" employee and will be required to be available, ready, willing, and able to report for duty under all circumstances (e.g., inclement weather, government closings and holidays, lapses in appropriations, non-emergency and emergency situations) for operation 24 hours a day and 365 days per year coverage.
- A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
- If selected, you must pass a pre-employment medical examination.
- - If selected, you will be covered by a bargaining unit (union).
- - We may make additional selections for similar positions within the commuting area(s) of the locations listed through this vacancy announcement.
- - You must be able to lift and move heavy equipment items weighing 40 lbs.
- - Student Trainees must work 640 hours prior to graduation in order to be eligible for conversion.
- - Student Trainees and their supervisors must sign a Pathways Participant Agreement outlining expectations for the internship prior to entering on duty.
- - All Student Trainees are hired at the Step 1 of the grade for which they are selected.
- - Applicants under 18 years of age will require a work permit prior to appointment.
- - A cumulative GPA of 3.0 of higher on a 4.0 scale is required throughout the duration of the program.
- - Students who are graduating in November or December 2018 and are not enrolled for a new degree-seeking or qualified certificate program after graduation will be rated ineligible for this position.
- - Student Trainees appointed for less than 90 days in duration are generally not eligible for benefits.
- - While conversion is not guaranteed, Student Trainees, with U.S. citizenship, may be converted to a career-conditional appointment (a term position lasting 1-4 years or a permanent position) within 120 days of successful completion of all program requirements as specified by the Pathways Participant Agreement. Student Trainees must work 640 hours prior to graduation in order to be eligible for conversion.
- - The selectee must be able to bend, stoop, walk, stand for prolonged periods, reach, and pull.
- - This position requires weekend hours, night shifts, regular or rotational shifts, holiday hours.
- - The National Institutes of Health participates in the USCIS Electronic Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify). E-Verify helps employers determine employment eligibility of new hires and the validity of their Social Security numbers.
- - The NIH maintains a tobacco free work environment and campus.
- -This announcement is open to U.S. citizens, non-citizens, national, or legal permanent residents.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Traditional rating and ranking of applications does not apply to this vacancy. You will be evaluated against the basic qualifications.
Veteran's Preference does apply. If you are claiming Veterans' Preference, you MUST submit supporting documents with your application package to verify your preference claim and receive preference. These documents may include, but are not limited to: DD-214 member 4 copy (which indicates character of service), SF-15, VA Letter and/or Activation/Deactivation orders. If you are a veteran, click here for additional information and about required documents.
Selections will be made in preference order. All individuals in the highest preference group must be selected before making selections from the next lower preference eligible group. All preference eligibles must be selected before making selections from the non-preference eligible group.
To be considered well qualified for the purposes of the Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) and the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP), you must substantively exceed the basic qualifications and meet all eligibility, physical, medical, suitability, and all other requirements.