IP Network Engineer, Service Operations Support
Join an innovative team that is responsible for transforming the customer experience by creating and bringing to market new products and services based upon globalized connectivity without boundaries. We reach beyond the traditional satellite industry and the broader communications landscape. As part of the Intelsat vision, we will define new products with the performance, features, and flexibility required to open new profitable markets, drive new revenue streams and ensure the most reliable and secure communications globally. To accomplish our goal, we are looking for bold thinkers to fill this role and continue our legacy of innovation for decades to come.
This position will be responsible for the technical expertise for the timely resolution of service issues on our Optical and IP/MPLS networks to support the 24x7 NOC. This individual is required to understand customer service design, SLA and customer expectations. The successful candidate will be responsible for taking into account redundancy, availability, scalability, security, restoral options and customer impact when resolving customer issues.
- Lead and participate in proactive service management and incident response for elimination and mitigation of operational impact to customers
- Provide a timely and professional response to customer communications, perform detailed problem diagnosis on faulty systems, ensure service restoration or alternate service configurations and resolve network or platform problems
- Utilize tools and demonstrate a high level of proficiency to assess and troubleshoot IP/MPLS networks and Ethernet switching fabrics, as well as OTN/Optical, and SDH/PDH networks while working closely with customers to maintain all service level agreements.
- Provide key input and/or lead in the development of operational support of data and documentation pertaining to new or existing infrastructure, platforms or services, development of training materials, processes, procedures, skills assessments
- Provide leadership of System support, Change Management and Quality oversight, and act as a Maintenance liaison with supporting teams
- Provide on-call support to the NOC regarding customer impact or other service, network and tool issues
- Provide Performance Monitoring of services. Utilize carrier management system tools and terrestrial management tools to provide network and usage analysis by monitoring network devices, video devices, teleport equipment and satellite carriers
- Coordinate technical dispatches to Intelsat Teleports and Commercial Points of Presence; Interface with vendors, 3rd party teleports, start and track RMA support for faulty equipment
- Bachelors degree and a minimum of 1-3 years experience (or equivalent combination of training and experience)
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) or equivalent experience required
- Juniper Networks Certification (JNCiS-SP or JNCIS-SP) desirable
- Proficient knowledge of traffic flow analysis and troubleshooting is required
- Must consistently display situational awareness and take initiative to address customer issues as well as departmental inefficiencies with little supervision
- Must have sound understanding and troubleshooting experience in routing and switching of IP/MPLS and Ethernet networks
- Must have sound understanding and troubleshooting experience of EGP and IGP routing protocols such as MP-BGP, IS-IS, EIGRP, and OSPF
- Must have sound understanding of MEF Carrier Ethernet concepts and the technologies and protocols required to support Metro Ethernet and VPN Services (VPLS, MPLS-TE, etc.)
- Must have knowledge and experience with Cisco IOS(-XR) and JunOS operating systems
- Must have experience with creating network and service diagrams and documentation using Microsoft Visio and other MS Office tools
- General understanding of satellite communication ground station equipment including modems, converters, HPA, LNA, IFL and antenna systems is highly desirable
- General understanding of RF principals and experience with interference troubleshooting is highly desirable
- General understanding of OTN and SDH/SONET networks is highly desirable
- Must have and consistently display good team working, organizational and interpersonal skills, with the ability to work comfortably with customers and co-workers who speak English as a second language
- This role is subject to ITAR; candidates must be a US Person (this includes US Citizen, Permanent Resident or Protected Individual such as an asylee or refugee).
- These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees assigned to this job.
- Company description: Intelsat is the largest provider of fixed satellite services worldwide. We enable providers of media, telecom and government services to deliver information and entertainment to people at home, in the office or on the move. On a day-to-day basis, Intelsat supplies video, data and voice connectivity in approximately 200 countries and territories for approximately 1,800 customers, many of which Intelsat has had relationships with for over 30 years. Some of the world's leading media and communications companies, multinational corporations, Internet service providers and government/military organizations hallmark Intelsat's customer base. Customers access capacity through extensive service offerings, which include transponder services, hybrid managed services combining satellite capacity and terrestrial facilities, and channel services.