Strategic Communications Manager (1139-679)
The Strategic Communications Manager will serve as the communications partner for their portfolio of USP program areas and/or enterprise activities. The candidate will develop and manage multichannel marketing communication or public relations projects with internal staff and external support, from strategy development to vendor and agency management to content creation, reviews, approvals, and distribution. He or she will generate top-notch content and share stories that brings to life USP’s mission of delivering quality standards to improve people’s health. The candidate is highly organized, able to balance multiple assignments while maintaining attention to detail with a focus on delivery of high-quality content within the required schedule.
The position is responsible for managing relationships with USP program and enterprise areas and providing strategic communications counsel to help reach the departments’ goals. The Strategic Communications Manager will interface with senior leadership and knowledge experts in science, strategic marketing, global public health and global external affairs and work in a collaborative environment within the global communications team to produce and disseminate compelling content to engage industry, external stakeholders, healthcare professionals and consumers.Roles and Responsibilities
- Serve as the primary manager for a portfolio of marketing and public relations communications programs, managing and developing enterprise-level and market-segmented content that supports USP’s strategy across all channels and mediums, including print, digital, email, mobile and social media
- Develop and execute marketing and public relations communications plans, strategies, and tactics to include branding, public relations, communications collateral digital and print advertisements, tradeshows, email and direct mail, e-newsletters, web content, blogs, infographics, videos, webinars, mobile and social media
- Collaborate with external agencies and provide communications counsel to colleagues within assigned USP program and enterprise areas
- Work collaboratively with the external and marketing communications, web, digital and creative teams to develop content for media outreach, promotional campaigns and materials to ensure the best deployment for content across multiple channels
- Work closely with the Directors of Marketing and External Communications, as well as internal subject matter experts to edit drafts, write and proofread content that inspires, educate and inform external audiences and stakeholders in support of USP’s mission
- Develop web and SEM content within marketing campaigns and contribute to SEO/SEM strategies and execution
- Leverage research, data, social analytics and multiple inputs of feedback and information into a cohesive content platform
- Obtain approval of content as defined in the communications brief before providing to the design team
- Manage updates to existing collateral throughout the year
- Produce monthly report, showing work completion and projects in development
- Build positive relationships that foster USP core values and display competencies to communicate with staff at all levels
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Marketing Communications, Public Relations or related field required
- At least 8 years of experience as a communications professional with developing and executing strategic communications plans, utilizing interpersonal skills to work with multiple internal and external stakeholders, managing agencies, and creating content that educates and inspires readers
- Minimum of 4 years in the Biotechnology or Pharmaceutical industry in a Communications or Marketing role.
- Knowledge of science, the biopharmaceutical industry and/or public health strongly preferred
- Ability to manage projects involving multiple departments while managing competing priorities and communicating effectively when priorities shift
- Strategic with strong problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Experience working effectively independently and in a collaborative environment with internal partners, external agencies, graphic designers, web and digital teams, and communications teams to move projects from concept to completion
- Superior writing, editing, and proofreading skills for digital and print
- Keen eye and attention to detail, especially in copywriting and editing
- Ability to assess technical or scientific information and create powerful key messages and content
- Flexibility to shift writing style to target a variety of audiences
- Highly curious, creative and imaginative
- Driven to create new ways to reach, inform and captivate audiences
- Ability to give and receive constructive feedback and recommendations for edits
- Knowledge of Google Analytics, SEO best practices, CRM and content management systems
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
USP offers an impressive benefits package, including:
- Generous paid time off – 13 paid holidays, 10 sick days and 15 vacation days per year to start
- An annual 401(k) contribution, beginning after 1 year of service, of 10% of pay (base and bonus) every pay period that vests immediately
- Comprehensive individual and family healthcare plans with affordable premiums and low annual deductibles ($250/individual or $500/family)
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) is a scientific nonprofit organization that sets standards for the identity, strength, quality, and purity of medicines, food ingredients, and dietary supplements manufactured, distributed and consumed worldwide. USP’s drug standards are enforceable in the United States by the Food and Drug Administration, and these standards are used in more than 140 countries.
Being a part of USP means belonging to a diverse culture made up of more than 1,000 talented professionals working together at five international locations. We share our expertise in science, IT, human resources, quality assurance, communications, administrative management, and more...all to support an overall mission dedicated to making a difference by providing standards and programs that help improve the quality of medicines, dietary supplements, and foods worldwide.
USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities.
USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.Job Location Rockville, Maryland, United States Position Type Full-Time/Regular