Business and Operations Manager
Business & Operations Manager - Auxiliary Business Services
The Business & Operations Manager is the liaison between Auxiliary Business Services, the Georgetown community, several dining services vendors (which represents 45% of Auxiliary Business Services), and all other business partnerships on and off Georgetown's campuses. He or she assists with operations, and financial and contract administration - to include ensuring that the terms and conditions of the contracts are followed and met from both the institution side and vendor's side. Managing of ABS contracts also requires measuring performance relative to overall program execution, food and beverage quality, customer experience, and facilities maintenance/upkeep. The Business and Operations Manager also serves as “the face of Georgetown University Dining” to a vast customer base-- undergraduate students, graduate students (multiple types), alumni, hospital visitors and patients, tourists, conference center attendees, faculty, staff, and summer conference attendees.
Reporting to the Director of Business and Operations, the Business & Operations Manager has duties that include but are not limited to:
Daily Operations and Customer Experience
- Visits and walks through all dining locations on a daily basis to interact with customers.
- Visits and walks through other business operations as needed to interact with customers and assess the overall success of the operation.
- Conducts time checks on lines, reviews operation staffing levels with business volume, checks cleanliness of operations, monitors staff interactions with customers; conducts QA of menu items produced; and assures that customer feedback programs are developed.
- Manages all aspects of operations as they pertain to the customer experience throughout the day.
- Talks to customers at all locations to get their candid feedback on their experience and lets them know how they can provide feedback so that continuous improvements can be made.
- Actively seeks feedback with individual students, committees, and student organizations, as well as with faculty, staff, and key stakeholders -all toward looking at ways to improve the customer experience, drive satisfaction, and increase revenue.
- Continually reviews contracts to ensure the terms and conditions are being met by GU and by the vendors.
- Provides planning around expiration dates.
- Obtains all annual documents - for example Payment Card Industry (PCI) compliance, business plans, and liquor licenses.
- Attends all construction planning meetings for building and renovations.
- Maintains vendor relationships and serves as the liaison between vendors and GU for smooth operations.
- Manages contract governance.
- Assists in connections between the parties as necessary to support the mission and goals of vendors and GU when policies, programs, and/or people change.
Data Management and Financial Reporting
- Works with vendors to ensure that reporting and financial requirements are met on a timely basis.
- Audits financial reports to ensure that they are accurate according to industry best practices.
- Monitors reports against contract terms and conditions, to make sure that they are within the guidelines of the contract.
- Takes lead on ensuring that accurate sales data is uploaded into the ABS tracking system and assists with providing analysis of all business operations.
- Assists in developing the budget for ABS services and in financial analysis of all ABS operations, as well as in identifying growth areas, measuring performance, reviewing ROI, and highlighting areas of concern.
New Business Strategy and Development
- Manages off campus business relationships.
- Grows revenue generating arrangements that are beneficial to the GU community.
- Plans entrepreneurially and creatively to ensure that GU campuses have the appropriate services to meet community needs.
Marketing, Communications, and Promotions
- Develops a marketing strategy for food on campus and works with each vendor on marketing strategy to communicate programs, build awareness, and drive revenue.
- Makes sure that all of the messaging is cohesive and within the greater ABS guidelines, as well as meeting GU and visual identity standards.
- Assists with campus events and represents ABS department.
- Oversees the Auxiliary Business Services website and social media.
- Supervises student interns.
This individual will have daily interactions with Georgetown students, faculty and staff along with our vendors to resolve customer service issues and improve overall customer experience. They will also interact with dining vendors to improve services in all areas across campus. They will interact with students both individually and as part of groups, to gather their feedback. The individual will also have interactions with prospective students, alumni, potential vendors and general visitors to campus. Some interactions will be with senior staff of Georgetown. This person will interact with parents and families of current students as well as potential students.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in business, culinary arts, hospitality management or equivalent experience
- Experience that includes at least 5 years of retail or customer service experience, 3 years in engagement and outreach at an educational institution, and 2 years of data and/or financial administration.
- Customer service focus with hospitality as a core interest, as well as orientation for detail and solutions
- Ability to work as part of a team, as well as to prioritize and exercise flexibility during shifting priorities
- Ability to communicate and interact with constituents from various levels across an organization
- Ability to make smart decisions quickly, to work under stress in a variety of situations, and to remain calm and professional at all times
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google Apps
- Availability and willingness to work long and/or weekend hours during peak business period, during evening hours as events may require, and from home during university-designated inclement weather and/or closure
Current Georgetown Employees:
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500. For more information about the suite of benefits, professional development and community involvement opportunities that make up Georgetown's commitment to its employees, please visit the Georgetown Works website.
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.