Surgical Technology Teacher
Under general supervision, provides extensive expertise to teach Surgical Scrub Technology and related courses as part of The George Washington University and ACPS Health Sciences Academy at T.C. Williams High School. The teacher will facilitate student success in academic and interpersonal skills through implementing district approved curriculum; documenting teaching and student progress/activities/outcomes; addressing specific educational needs of students'; providing a safe and optimal learning environment; and providing feedback to students, parents and administration regarding student progress, expectations, goals, etc.
Education: Bachelor's degree required, Master's degree preferred. Courses will be dual-enrolledCertificates & Licenses: Valid Virginia Department of Education license required, or eligibility to obtain one. • The candidate must have: 1. Graduated from an approved program of study for the preparation of health care for Surgical Scrub Technology 2. A license or be certified as a professional practitioner in the endorsement area sought; and 3. Completed two years of occupational experience in an area related to the area to be taught. 4. Previous experience teaching in a surgical scrub technology program preferred.
- Provides instructional theory and skills to prepare surgical scrub tech students for post-secondary clinical experience and industry certification in Tech in Surgery by NCCT (National Center for Competency Testing).
- Instructs surgical scrub tech students in the theoretical and clinical aspects of the practice based on curriculum guidelines approved by the Association of Surgical Technologists (AST).
- Maintains accurate student records and utilizes classroom technology.
- Administers subject specific assessments for the purpose of assessing mastery and/or developing individual learning plans.
- Prepares a variety of written materials (grades, attendance, anecdotal records, etc.) for the purpose of documenting student mastery.
- Develops lessons plans based on the surgical scrub tech curriculum.
- Participates in a variety of meetings for the purpose of conveying and/or gathering information required to perform functions.
- Teaches instructional units as indicated by the curriculum plan and adapts methods to meet learner's needs.
- Plans student assignments to meet academic objectives.
- Promotes communication with affiliating agency administration, staff, students and clients.
- Counsels students to promote optimal participation and performance.
- Opportunities to develop and apply leadership, social, civic, and health care skills are provided through Health Occupation Students of America (HOSA), the Career and Technical Student Organization for health science education. Integration of the health science program with appropriate academic concepts/courses is strongly encouraged.
- Revise and update curriculum as necessary.
- Adhere to T.C. Williams High School policies and regulations.
- Adhere to affiliating agencies policies and regulations.
- Inform the department chair of student activities, problems and/or concerns.
- Maintain current CPR certification.
- Maintain teacher certification as per requirements of the Virginia Department of Education.