Employee and Labor Relations Specialist, #S13002
Montgomery College is Maryland's premier community college, serving more than 60,000 students each year through credit and noncredit programs. We are dedicated to providing an exceptional education for all of our students, and we recognize that our faculty and staff are integral to our continued success. We give employees the environment, tools, and opportunities they need to make a difference.
Job TitleEmployee and Labor Relations Specialist, #S13002
Job Description SummaryMontgomery College, Central Services, has an immediate need for a full-time Employee and Labor Relations Specialist with the Office of Human Resources and Strategic Talent Management. This position is non-union and exempt.
Montgomery College is a public, fully accredited, open admission institution. Led by President DeRionne P. Pollard, Ph.D., Montgomery College is dedicated to student success and widely recognized for the quality and scope of its academic programs. Do you want to join us in our mission of providing an exceptional education, fostering student success? The faculty and staff of MC are integral to our continued excellence.
The Employee and Labor Relations (ELR) Specialist provides advice and counsel to supervisors, managers, and administrators regarding employee and labor relations issues in accordance with applicable policies and procedures, collective bargaining agreements, regulations and statutes. Complaint investigation, discipline guidance, conflict resolution, and performance management guidance are the major areas into which daily tasks will fall. In addition, the ELR Specialist prepares and participates in the collective bargaining process, grievance management, and chairing the College's Labor/management Collaboration Committees (LMCCs).Job Description
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Define the scope of a complaint investigation as well as develop investigative plans.
- Interview parties and gather and evaluate relevant evidence.
- Write investigative reports, including findings of fact.
- Recommend investigative outcomes.
- Ensure remedial action is implemented, as appropriate.
- Review recommended discipline and provides the Director with a complete report and recommendation whether such discipline should be implemented by conducting interviews with interested parties, reviewing evidence, and synthesizing gathered information in light of relevant policy and procedure or contractual obligation.
- Consult with supervisors, managers, or administrator regarding recommendation for discipline.
- Facilitate conversations between supervisors and employees to help clarify performance expectations and standards of conduct.
- Identify workplace issues and provide guidance regarding possible resolutions. Monitor internal trends and provide consultation to management regarding same..
- Identify themes relating to labor and employee relations issues, discover root cause of such issues and design appropriate remedies.
- Performance ManagementAssist management in the development and implementation of performance improvement plans. Provide guidance to management on process, positioning and tone of performance management conversations, expectations, and reviews.
- Research, plan and assist in preparation of labor as instructed by the Director, for collective bargaining with the College's three unions. This includes in-depth analysis of union negotiations at similar institutions and analysis of anticipated union postures.
- Assist in the development and achievement of collective bargaining objectives as authorized by the Board of Trustees, including oral advocacy.
- Manage collective bargaining grievance proceedings from intake to resolution.
- Work collaboratively with the general counsel's office and/or external counsel to respond to and resolve labor relations inquiries, arbitrations requiring legal representation, and step-3 appeal hearings
Labor Management Collaboration Committee (LMCC)
- Manage and coordinate LMCC meetings in accordance with respective contracts.
- Coordinate and participate in appropriate labor committees, projects and initiatives, as outlined by the contracts. For example, sick leave pilot with AFSCME.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Four (4) years of progressively responsible experience in human resources management, to include employee relations and labor relations.
- Thorough knowledge of principles and practices in human resources, specifically employee and labor relations.
- Skills with using a HRIS and MS Office applications.
- Strong communication skills to effectively interpret and explain policies and procedures, collective bargaining agreements, and Federal and State regulations.
- Presentation, facilitation and negotiation skills.
- Exercise sound judgement, decisions through critical thinking, analysis and evaluation
- Ability to build and maintain effective working relationships at all levels of the College.
- Ability to manage a robust workload with competing priorities.
- Eligible applicants must currently be authorized to work in the United States and not require employer visa sponsorship
- SHRM or related certification.
- Master's degree in Human Resources or related discipline or JD.
- Apply online at http://www.montgomerycollege.edu/employment
- Online applications must be received by July 20, 2018.
- For consideration, you must include dates of employment in your application or attachment and full or part-time status
As a condition of employment, the following are required at the time of hire:
- Successful completion of a background check.
- Participation in a retirement plan.
Our benefits package includes: generous paid vacation, sick, paid holidays, medical, dental, vision, group legal benefits, professional development, retirement plan, educational assistance, tuition waiver for employee and dependents, wellness programming including onsite gyms, pools and classes.Closing DateFriday, July 20, 2018
Montgomery College is a tobacco-free and smoke-free workplace
For disability-related accommodations, please call 240-567-5353
or send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Montgomery College is an academic institution committed to promoting
equal opportunity and fostering diversity among its student body, faculty, and staff.