Executive Admin Assistant II
Executive Administrative Assistant II
Office of Institutional Advancement
Non-Exempt, Regular, 100% Full Time, Pay Grade 011
University of Maryland University College (UMUC) seeks an Executive Administrative Assistant II. Reporting to the Vice President, under general supervision, the Executive Administrative Assistant II provides executive level secretarial and administrative assistance to a key executive or official as designated by the institution. Incumbents regularly handle matters of a highly confidential or sensitive nature. Level allocation is based on criteria as established by the institution.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
1. Prepares and revises manuscripts, correspondence, charts, forms, and other material from copy or notes created by others using typewriter and/or automated office equipment. Proofreads materials.
2. Composes replies to general inquiries requiring comprehensive program knowledge. Signs important correspondence frequently without instruction or review.
3. Reads and edits outgoing correspondence for procedural, typographical and grammatical accuracy with general policy and factual correctness. Corrects and calls deviations or inadequacies to writer's attention as deemed appropriate.
4. Exercises independent judgement and initiative in establishing and revising complex and sensitive filing systems. Enters, updates, and retrieves information stored in files and databases; customizes special reports.
5. Researches, analyzes and summarizes information and source materials for reports independently and communicates findings orally and in writing.
6. Receives and reads incoming correspondence and information. Summarizes and prioritizes review of correspondence. Screens out items to be handled personally and forwards remainder with necessary background materials.
7. Receives and screens telephone calls and visitors. Independently handles procedural and substantive matters and inquiries which do not require technical knowledge or refers callers to others as appropriate.
8. Schedules appointments and engagements without prior clearance. Makes arrangements and coordinates all details for meetings. Assures that executive is fully briefed before meetings on matters to be considered. May attend meetings and prepare notes.
9. Makes all necessary arrangements for travel and independently performs required administrative follow-up and recordkeeping.
10. Oversees office operations, ensures equipment, materials, and space are used efficiently and effectively. Assists in preparing and administering departmental budget.
11. Acts as intermediary for executive, interacting with officials, staff at all levels, and the public. Provides information requiring comprehensive knowledge of institution policies, procedures, and special issues.
12. Anticipates executive's course of action when absent and facilitates problem resolution. Interprets administrative decisions and policies to other staff and transmits directions and instructions based on authority delegated by the executive.
13. Ensures confidentiality of information. Provides guidance and instruction of office support staff.
14. Supports office by using automated equipment such as facsimile machines, personal and networked computers and printers, copy equipment, voice messaging and electronic mail systems, and telephone equipment.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
High School Diploma or GED.
Six years secretarial experience, one year of which was providing primary secretarial support to a key administrator. Comprehensive knowledge of and skill in the application of office practices, procedures, and equipment; of business English, spelling, grammar, and arithmetic; of UMS policies and procedures and the institution's purpose, goals, and procedures. Thorough knowledge of and skill in the use of word processing, database, and spreadsheet software to produce documents and maintain information. Skill in composing a variety of correspondence; in operating manual and automated office equipment; in managing filing systems; in gathering and summarizing information; in maintaining confidentiality and handling sensitive matters with discretion and tact; in interacting with students, public officials and staff at all levels in a courteous and efficient manner; in planning, organizing, prioritizing and executing complicated and continuing assignments without instruction. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; to understand and follow oral and written instructions; to project a professional and positive image of the institution; to make effective oral presentations; to supervise office operations and staff.
OTHER: Applicants may be required to complete the institution's required skills assessment to be considered. Some positions require specific skills such as word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, database, email or calendaring software, and Internet proficiency.
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY & WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.If you are an external candidate, you will have the option to create an account after you submit your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to apply to additional jobs.