Deputy Assistant Deputy Under Secretary for Health for Access
25% or less - You may be expected to travel for this less than 25% for this position.
Relocation expenses reimbursed Yes You may qualify for reimbursement of relocation expenses in accordance with agency policy.
The VA structure its SES positions into three pay bands. Salary caps for each band are: Pay Band 1 -$189,600 pay Band 2-$183,200 and Pay Band 3- $174,500. Exception to the cap for Pay Bands 2 and 3 MAY be made in certain circumstances. Pay is commensurate with the candidates experience. This is a pay band 2 position with a salary range of $126,148 to $189,600.
In order to qualify for this position you must meet the following:
BASIC REQUIREMENTS FOR HEALTH SYSTEM SPECIALIST
The Deputy to the ADUSH for Access must meet the following requirements:
- US citizenship
- Proficiency in written and spoken English
- Selectee is subject to a background investigation
- May be subject to random drug screening
The applicant must possess extensive leadership experience in the health care arena sufficient to qualify for the equivalent of a senior executive position within the Federal service, including significant experience with strategic planning, policy development, financial management, and staff development. Expert-level knowledge of current concepts in health care such as communicating and providing guidance on national level health care policy to internal and external stakeholders, defining and evaluating new policy recommendations that directly impact health care provided to patients, overseeing senior leadership responsible for oversight of national health care facilities, analyzing information and data to identify improvement opportunities to reduce barriers to health care service, and developing treatment standards to monitor the quality of health care on a national level are also essential.
In addition to basic requirements, the following technical and executive core qualifications are required for this position. Typically, these qualifications would be gained through education, experience and training which reflect progressive development and achievement in responsible management/executive level assignments in health care at a national or Network level, equivalent positions in a hospital/network/regional office or allied medical care facility, or executive positions in an academic institution. An individual's total experience and education must demonstrate the ability to perform the duties of the position. If you are currently a federal employee, this type of experience is typically found at positions at the GS-15 level and above.
To meet the minimum qualifications, applicants must possess all of the necessary requirements for this position, you MUST SHOW in your RESUME that you possess the five Mandatory Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs) and Technical Qualification(s) outlined below. Eligibility will be based on clear and concise accomplishments that emphasize your level of responsibilities, scope and complexity of programs managed, program accomplishments (with results), policy initiatives and level of contacts.
Applicants can obtain a sample resume along with additional information regarding the Executive Core Qualifications on the Internet at http://www.opm.gov/ses/recruitment/qualify.asp.
A. EXECUTIVE CORE QUALIFICATIONS:
- ECQ 1. LEADING CHANGE: Ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment.
- ECQ 2. LEADING PEOPLE: Ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts.
- ECQ 3. RESULTS DRIVEN: Ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks.
- ECQ 4. BUSINESS ACUMEN: Ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically. Applicants may focus on resource management, with particular emphasis on financial management (budget).
- ECQ 5. BUILDING COALITIONS: Ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals. Applicants may demonstrate that they have external contacts as well as internal interactions.
- Expertise in organizational programs and requirements of health care delivery systems.
- Expertise in managing and directing a health care program at a national level
PLEASE NOTE: Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html. All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must submit a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
Veterans' Preference does not apply to Senior Executive Equivalent positions.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
Physical Requirements: Most of the work performance is at a desk, in an office setting. The position does require touring of the medical center for direct supervision, survey and environment of care issues. The incumbent occasionally carries books and papers to and from meetings and conferences.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
In describing your experience please is clear and specific. We will not make assumptions regarding your experience. Your resume and/or supporting documentation will be verified; errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment. Please follow all instructions carefully.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Note: A full year of work is considered to be 35-40 hours of work per week. Part-time experience will be credited on the basis of time actually spent in appropriate activities. Applicants wishing to receive credit for such experience must indicate clearly the nature of their duties and responsibilities in each position and the number of hours a week spent in such employment.