Teacher, Special Education (Deaf & Hard of Hearing)
- Full Time
* Develops and maintains an instructional environment conducive to effective learning for the student; meets and instructs assigned students in the locations and at the times designated; encourages students to set and maintain standards of classroom behavior; evaluates student progress on a regular basis.
* Prepares lesson plans for students assigned, and shows written evidence of preparation upon request of immediate supervisor; maintains accurate, complete, and correct records as required by law, District policy, and administrative regulation.
* Employs a variety of instructional techniques and instructional media, consistent with the needs and capabilities of the individuals or student groups involved; strives to implement by instruction and action the District's philosophy of education and instructional goals and objectives; cooperates with other members of the staff in planning instructional goals, objectives, and methods.
* Works to establish and maintain open lines of communication with students and their parents concerning both the broad academic and behavioral progress of all assigned students; makes provisions for being available to students and parents for education-related purposes outside the instructional day when required or requested to do so under reasonable terms.
* Attends and participates in faculty meetings; accepts a share of responsibility for co-curricular activities as assigned.
* Assists in the selection of books, equipment, and other instructional materials.
* Performs related work as required.
* Must qualify for the appropriate Provisional or Collegiate Professional Licensure with endorsement in hearing impairments.
* Provides for his/her own professional growth through an ongoing program of reading, workshops, seminars, conferences, and/or advanced course work at institutions of higher learning.
* Maintains licensure in accordance with provisions established by the Virginia Department of Education.
The Deaf/ Hard of Hearing Itinerant Teacher reports to the Principal and to the Special Education Supervisor.