Senior Writer/ Editor
American Bird Conservancy
Title: Senior Writer/ Editor
Supervisor: Vice President of Communications
Location: Washington, DC
Application Submission deadline: July 29, 2018
If you are an accomplished writer and editor with a keen interest in and knowledge of birds, we want to hear from you! American Bird Conservancy — a nonprofit founded in 1994 to conserve birds and their habitats throughout the Americas — is seeking qualified individuals for this full-time position in our Washington, DC office. The Senior Writer/Editor will manage our flagship Bird Conservation magazine and contribute to our Annual Report and website (abcbirds.org). He or she will also help to ensure the quality and consistency of written content across other print and digital communications.
The successful applicant will be able to articulate complex scientific principles relating to bird conservation in clear, inspiring prose for various audiences. He or she will be able to juggle multiple priorities while maintaining high editorial standards and apply equally high levels of skill to both writing and editing tasks within a deadline-driven work environment.
- Manage Bird Conservation magazine (3 issues per year), leading creative direction and writing and/or editing content.
- Lead development of digital version of magazine and work with team members to create complementary multimedia as needed.
- Play a key editorial role in development of content for new ABC website, including bird conservation news and ABC success stories.
- Write and edit content for the Annual Report.
- Edit and proofread a range of ABC publications and communications for style, grammar, and syntax, including press releases and policy reports.
- Work closely with ABC staff and external subject matter experts to solicit ideas and material.
- Lead further development of and adherence to ABC’s organization-wide editorial style guide.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, or biological sciences; or a combination of relevant education and experience
- At least 6-7 years of experience in journalism or feature writing, with published results demonstrating ability to optimize text for print and online audiences
- Knowledge of birds and conservation principles, as well as a personal commitment to ABC’s bird conservation mission
- Collaborative workstyle and capacity to work as part of a team as well as independently
- Experience with managing complex production processes
- Ability to work on multiple projects concurrently and prioritize to meet deadlines
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Proven experience using established editorial style guides such as AP
- Willingness to travel on occasion
- Experience working in a multi-location or international organization
- Familiarity with nonprofit settings, preferably in biodiversity conservation
- Knowledge of best practices for SEO
- Fluency in Spanish
Please submit your cover letter and resume to Bamboo HR at the following link: https://abcbirds.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=26
If you have technical difficulties, please send your resume and cover letter and ONE PDF document to email@example.com