Designer, Retail Interiors
Smithsonian Museum Retail seeks an experienced and creative Designer, Retail Interiors in our Washington DC office to assist in the design, planning and oversight of retail business projects, ensuring timely completion within budget. The scope of projects ranges from renovation of existing retail spaces to new construction within museums or offsite.
Additionally, the Designer will:
- Assist in the design, construction and setup for a variety of projects.
- Use full range of drafting techniques to design and draw projects to scale.
- Work in accordance with budgetary allowances, delegated authority, and management approval.
- Collaborate with museum, curatorial and exhibits staff for space allocation and design ideas appropriate to their exhibits, events and collections, while assuring efficient and effective operations.
- Work with staff to create special thematic areas in facilities to support temporary exhibitions.
- Under the guidance of the Supervisor:
- Assist in preparing and presenting initial and final design concepts.
- Ensure that appropriate processes are followed in obtaining reviews and approvals.
- Follow up on project’s progress; troubleshoots and resolves problems.
- Follow each project through to the point of turnover.
- Select and arrange for purchase of all materials needed to complete a variety of projects.
- Serve as project manager to regularly oversee the design and construction of new facilities and the renovation of existing facilities.
- Keep abreast of current visual merchandising and retail planning and design trends.
Qualified candidates will have a Bachelor’s degree and 2+ years’ experience and training.
- Knowledge of design intent and technical drawing.
- Knowledge of proper use of public space coordinated with functional and aesthetic design.
- Experience obtaining and evaluating bids.
- Experience creating and working within a budget.
- Experience working with industry design programs including AutoCAD, Adobe design programs and similar.
- Retail Design experience, particularly with museums, is preferred.
Oversight and coordination of work generally includes working outside of normal business hours.
We are looking for a creative self-starter, with the ability to manage multiple projects with varying and changing deadlines.
Salary: $42k - $50k annually, depending on experience
To apply, please email resume, a link to work samples or website, and cover letter (including salary requirements) to email@example.com.
We offer excellent benefits, commuter assistance, and a creative and dynamic work environment.
Local candidates preferred - Relocation expenses are not paid.
Final candidate selection will be subject to the applicant’s successful completion of a pre-employment background check and subsequent background investigation. Appointment subject to a one year probationary period. EOE. This is not a federal position. Candidates must be U.S. employment eligible without sponsorship.