Animal Keeper (Veterinary Hospital)
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
The work requires the ability to lift and carry materials weighing up to 100 pounds. The work also requires extended periods of standing, walking, bending, and stooping.
The work is performed indoors and outdoors in all weather conditions. The incumbent is exposed to dust and to unpleasant odors and noises from the animals and to cleaning solutions and other chemicals. The work is performed on concrete floors and other hard surfaces. The work may be performed in closed or cramped spaces. The incumbent is exposed to bites, scratches, and animal waste, and may be exposed to animal parasites and zoonotic diseases.
OTHER SIGNIFICANT FACTS
The incumbent must receive immunizations to guard against zoonotic diseases and is subject to regular medical screening. The incumbent may be assigned to any eight hour shift and is subject to call at any time, including weekends and holidays. The incumbent is considered to be emergency personnel for purposes of being on call and during government shutdowns due to inclement weather, Code Red terrorism alerts, and other emergency situations, to ensure adequate animal care is provided as required.
Qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the job opportunity announcement.
For information on the Job Qualification System for Trades and Labor Occupations, see OPM’s web site at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/x-118c/index.htm.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Flexible Spending Accounts -
Health Insurance -
Life Insurance -
Long Term Care Insurance -
Retirement Program -
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
How you will be evaluated:
Applications will first be evaluated to determine whether the following screen out element is met:
- Ability to do the work of an experienced Animal Keeper without more than normal supervision demonstrated by experience performing a full range of specialized duties that contribute to the proper veterinary medical care, feeding, housing, and training of zoo collection animals, and leads other staff to do the same.
If an applicant meets the screen-out element, the following Job Elements will be evaluated:
- Skill in caring for various zoological species (small and large mammals, primates, aquatics, avian, reptile, amphibian) in a zoological or similar setting.
- Skill in observing animals to interpret unusual behavior, symptoms of illness, or injury in various zoological animals (small and large mammals, primates, aquatics, avian, reptile, amphibian).
- Skill in handling wild or exotic animals in a safe and non-stressful manner; and following animal care procedures in husbandry and capturing and transporting wild exotic and/or endangered animals.
- Skill in training various species (small and large mammals, primates, birds, reptiles/amphibians).
- Skill in animal exhibit areas.
- Ability to communicate in writing to maintain records, produce reports and record observations of animal behavior or health.
Applicants who meet or exceed the screen-out element will be assigned to one of three category groups based on job-related criteria:
Best Category - Meets the screen-out element and excels in most of the job related elements above.
Better Category - Meets the screen-out element and satisfies most of the job related elements above.
Good Category - Meets the screen-out element, but does not satisfy most of the job related elements above to a substantive degree.
This category rating process does not add veterans' preference points or apply the "rule of three", but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-veterans within each category. A selecting official may make selections from the highest quality category (Best Category) provided no veteran in that category is passed over to select a non-veteran in that category unless the requirements of 5 U.S.C. 3317(b) or 3318(b) are satisfied.
Veterans who meet minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-9 grade level or higher.
Applicants who have not submitted a resume in the USAjobs system and/or have not answered all of the announcement questions will not be considered for this position.
Your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses to the occupational questionnaire or other assessment tool for consistency. If a determination is made that you have rated yourself higher than is supported by your resume, you will be assigned a rating commensurate to your described experience.
Your resume should provide sufficient information regarding how your education and experience relate to this position, including the major duties and qualifications criteria listed.
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Public Trust - Background Investigation Drug test required No
Not ready to apply?Email me to apply later