The bus driver is responsible for safely transporting students to and from school, performing daily pre-trip inspection and safety checks, following an assigned route and schedule, maintaining vehicle cleanliness, and enforcing safety rules.
The bus driver follows specific instructions and procedures and nonstandard situations or problems are referred to Lead Bus Driver or supervisor.
* Provides safe transportation of students, maintains effective control of students, and assists bus attendant in boarding and securing students in the bus seats
* Ability to lift 50 pounds
* Performs daily pre-trip inspection and safety checks of bus and reports any defective equipment
* Fuels bus following established safety procedures
* Adapts driving methods to weather and road conditions
* Recommends route changes as needed
* Performs basic First Aid and CPR procedures as required
* Completes bus incident reports as necessary and completes daily and monthly operations report
* Performs related work as directed
* Minimum of four years of driving experience, minimum age of 20, and Commercial Driver's License with school bus endorsement
* Completion of school bus driver training requirements of Loudoun County and Commonwealth of VA
* Knowledge of traffic and highway safety rules and regulations and local street and road system
* Knowledge of basic mechanical principles of motor vehicle operations
* Ability to communicate effectively, carry out written and oral instructions, and operate a two-way radio
* National Safety Council First Aid and CPR Certifications (provided during training)
* Ability to obtain a Commercial Driver's License Learner's Permit and pass DMV testing
* Ability to lift a hood during pre-trip inspection of bus (40-50 pound pull), to walk up and down steps of bus and aisle of bus with ease, and to lift and/or move students in case of an emergency evacuation
The Bus Driver reports to the Lead Bus Driver.