Heavy Equipment Supervisor
- Full Time
Reports to the Park Authority Mobile Crew offices, 4501 Brookfield Corporate Drive, Chantilly. Under the general supervision of the Mobile Crew Manager, plans, coordinates and supervises the work of crews performing complex and routine maintenance/construction projects with heavy construction equipment. Interprets construction plans. Evaluates work, assigns personnel and equipment to designated tasks, conducts performance evaluations and provides coaching and training to staff. Participates on interview panels. Coordinates and performs preventive and corrective maintenance on vehicles and equipment. Maintains appropriated maintenance records. Operates heavy equipment in the absence of and/or to supplement Heavy Equipment Operators on a variety of heavy construction equipment. Maintains computerized data entry and employee records. Ensures jobsite safety for personnel and general public and ensures a safe work environment for county staff. Participates on various work groups, teams and committees. Previous experience with excavators and skid-steer equipment. Emergency service personnel. Performs other duties as required.Illustrative Duties
- Supervises, coordinates, and manages the daily activities of a group of Heavy Equipment Operators;
- Utilizes a computerized maintenance management system to initiate, review and prioritize work orders;
- Oversees and operates graders, bulldozers, crawler loaders, and/or backhoes;
- Prepares subgrades and/or cuts, and finishes grades;
- Trains staff in the safe operation of equipment;
- Supervises minor mechanical repairs and adjustments to equipment to include preventative and corrective maintenance;
- Effectively responds to customer complaints, vehicle incidents and on the job injuries;
- Prepares reports and statistical data;
- Drafts equipment specifications and replacement recommendations;
- Supervises subordinate employees including hiring, coaching, counseling, training and performance evaluations ;
- Reinforces a safety culture and continually seeks to expand safety knowledge through training, mentoring, self-study or other methods of continuous learning;
- Investigates, documents and reports safety issues;
- Clearly communicates safety expectations;
- Resolves safety-related matters in a timely manner;
- Complies with the safety competencies.
- Considerable knowledge of State and local traffic laws and regulations;
- Considerable skill in the operation of a variety of heavy construction equipment;
- Thorough knowledge of purchasing methods, procedures and policy;
- Thorough knowledge of automated purchasing/inventory management system;
- Thorough knowledge of computers to include computerized maintenance management system;
- Ability to coach, counsel, train and evaluate employee performance to include safety policies, procedures and practices;
- Ability to supervise and train others in the safe operation of heavy equipment;
- Ability to supervise and perform routine equipment maintenance and make minor repairs;
- Ability to prepare and maintain workload data and monitor repair bills;
- Ability to read and comprehend maps;
- Ability to give and follow oral and written instructions;
- Strength and dexterity necessary to perform all required tasks including lifting, stooping, bending, and working in tiring and uncomfortable positions;
- Ability to work outside with regular exposure to severe weather, noxious fumes, high levels of dust, etc.;
- Ability to maintain effective relationships with citizens, employees and supervisors.
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to high school diploma or a GED issued by a state department of education or the equivalent, and four years of experience operating heavy motorized construction equipment and/or semi-tractor trailers.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
- A valid driver's license is required.
- A valid Class A Commercial Driver's License.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Appointee will be required to complete a criminal background check, a driving record check, a commercial driver license screening and a pre-employment physical to the satisfaction of the employer.
- Pre-employment, random, and post-accident drug and alcohol testing is mandatory.
- Position is designated as Emergency Service Personnel and incumbent is expected to report to duty as directed, to include emergencies.
- Three or more years of supervisory experience with crews of 4 or more.
- Three or more years of experience operating a wide variety of heavy construction equipment to include but not limited to backhoes, motor graders, excavators, tracked and rubber tire loaders, tandem dump trucks and tractor trailers.
- Experience in asphalt paving operations.
Ability to lift up to 50 pounds; climb in and out of equipment, and spend time standing and walking on uneven terrain (construction sites). Duties can be performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Panel interview, equipment skills test, and a written exercise.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 711. EEO/AA/TTY.