The Better Medicare Alliance (BMA) is a DC‐based coalition of health plans, providers, advocates, and beneficiaries dedicated to supporting Medicare Advantage (MA), the part of Medicare that allows health insurance plans the financing flexibility to focus on delivery system innovations to bring quality, affordable, comprehensive coverage and care to seniors. BMA advocates for MA by informing policymakers of evidence-based research and innovative care models, as well as communicating the perspective and experience of the variety of stakeholders who share the goal of improved care, affordability, and simplicity for Medicare beneficiaries.
The Advocacy Manager will report directly to the Director of Communications and will have the primary responsibility of engaging more than 400,000 Medicare Advantage beneficiaries to become active advocates for their Medicare Advantage coverage, maintaining the Medicare My Way website, and creating and sustaining an older adult digital community.
- Engage with Medicare Advantage advocates to develop their stories, answer their questions, and respond to their emails in a timely manner.
- Manage communities located in social networking sites particularly the on the organization’s Facebook page and the Senior Ambassador Facebook group.
- Develop and manage the Senior Ambassador Training Program.
- Organize and facilitate regular bi-monthly Senior Ambassador calls.
- Organize and facilitate Buddy Program with Better Medicare Alliance staff.
- Draft materials for Medicare Advantage beneficiaries, including an annual Enrollment Guide, bi-monthly newsletters, regular blogs, and factsheets on topics such as Medicare Plan-Finder.
- Implement the online digital community strategy, coordinating with Medicare Advantage beneficiaries with the help of various communication tools, including online surveys and petitions through CrowdScout and CQ Engage.
- Work with the Director of Communications to develop and implement community promotion and engagement strategies as they relate to the organization’s strategic goals including, grassroots meetings, tele-townhalls, and congressional engagement as appropriate.
- Work with Director of Communications to coordinate community postings and webinars as appropriate across the organization’s other digital channels.
- Works with Director of Communications on media clippings, website content, and community events.
- Regularly provide insights gained from grassroots and community monitoring to help inform other beneficiary engagement strategies.
COMMUNITY MODERATION/MONITORING, RESPONDING & TRAINING:
- Monitor discussions on social media platforms particularly Facebook and Twitter and respond in a timely manner where appropriate.
- Network with community members and identify Community Champions.
- Develop and maintain community advocacy resources, guidelines, and policies.
- Train and empower Community Champions to participate on a more significant engagement level.
- Analyze Centers of Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and Social Security Administration (SSA) beneficiary education materials.
- 4-6 years of communications, marketing, community outreach experience.
- B.A./B.S. required.
- Understanding of Medicare and health policy issues.
- Willingness to complete training and/or certification on Medicare information.
- Marketing experience and/or training preferred.
- Effective written, verbal, and social media communication skills.
- Strong customer service, communication and interpersonal skills required.
- Interest in working with an older adult population.
- Positive, can-do attitude.
- Ability to explain complex issues into simple language.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Be a team player in a collaborative work environment.
This position would report to the Director of Communications. BMA offers a competitive compensation and benefits package. Please send resume, references, and applicable writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org