Executive Director, Office of Strategic Engagement
Office of Strategic Engagement
School of Education, Virginia Commonwealth University
The VCU School of Education seeks applications for the position of Executive Director of the Office of Strategic Engagement, with a start date of August 10, 2018. At VCU, we believe different perspectives and expertise enhance possibilities and solutions. This philosophy drives our recruitment process, so we welcome applicants with diverse experiences and backgrounds, who will contribute to an already diverse community of faculty, staff, and students.
The mission of the Office of Strategic Engagement is to leverage the resources and capabilities within the VCU School of Education with regional and international schools to develop mutually beneficial pre-service and in-service programs that increase capabilities and performance of educators.
The Executive Director will provide effective leadership across all projects and activities of the Office of Strategic Engagement and will conceptualize the development of curriculum and learning approaches designed to provide professional learning targeted to regional and local division-specific needs.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Promoting and overseeing development of collaborative partnerships with school divisions to develop degree program cohorts, providing tailored professional development, and identifying and strategically supporting schools, especially those in urban and other high need areas.
- Facilitating the formation of international partnerships.
- Working with School of Education departments to determine capacity for offering cohorts and means to partner with school divisions in ongoing talent development.
- Executing a continuum of professional learning programs that build the capacity of school divisions to meet identified needs.
- Driving the design of tailored professional learning activities.
- Developing and executing a communications plan to promote various programs.
- Facilitating and negotiating development of memorandums of agreement and contracts with partners.
- Supervising services to ensure achievement of goals within budget and in alignment with school division goals and the University's mission.
- Leading the development of evaluation metrics to monitor program effectiveness
- Doctorate in education or related field
- Minimum 5 years of experience in education or professional development
- Demonstrated experience working in fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment, or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU
- Demonstrated success in team leadership and project supervision
- Experience in budget management and meeting department/organizational goals.
- Knowledge and experience meeting challenges and needs of urban and high needs schools
- Knowledge of talent development practices and adult learning principles
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills
- Experience with multiple professional learning approaches including distance learning technologies
- Knowledge of needs and innovative strategies relevant to school divisions identified by the state as high priority
- Professional experience in both university and PK-12 educational sectors
- Experience with outreach and development of collaborative partnerships
- Knowledge and experience with school division human resource and/or professional development offices
Virginia Commonwealth University is a major, urban public research university with national and international rankings in sponsored research. VCU is designated as a research university with very high research activity by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education and is recognized as a community-engaged institution by the Carnegie Foundation. Located in downtown Richmond, VCU enrolls more than 31,000 students in 226 degree and certificate programs in the arts, sciences and humanities. Recently voted as the “Best River Town in America” by Outside magazine, Richmond is a vibrant, prosperous metropolitan area of approximately one million people within a short driving distance from Washington, D.C., Virginia Beach and the Blue Ridge Mountains.
About School of Education:
The VCU School of Education aims to be the leader in urban education through leveraging existing resources and talents among our faculty, centers and institutes, and relationships with agencies in the community to expand innovation, excellence, and impact in schools, communities, families, and children. We prepare effective and highly skilled teachers, counselors, school administrators, higher education faculty, and other education professionals committed to challenging urban and high-needs schools, agencies and other high-need learning environments. The VCU School of Education focuses its teaching, interdisciplinary research, and development efforts on issues of educational equity, social justice and the complexities of poverty that impact student learning and family engagement.
The School of Education recognizes that trust among all members of its community is the foundation of a positive work climate.
The following principles are meant to guide the SOE in renewing and strengthening trust.
- The SOE realizes that our wellbeing as an institution depends upon the wellbeing of our members
- The SOE community respects all members, new and continuing, regardless of status
- The SOE community values honest communication and finding ways to respectfully address difficult issues
- The SOE community strives to listen without bias and search for common understanding
- The SOE is committed to equity, fairness and a level playing field for all its members
- The SOE community thrives because of diverse viewpoints and areas of expertise
- The SOE fosters collaboration, collegiality and mutual support among all members of its community
To be considered for this position, application materials must be submitted online through VCU eJobs and must include all of the following documents:
- A letter of intent which addresses the applicant's qualifications for this position, and relative to the goals and mission of VCU and the School of Education;
- A curriculum vitae;
- The name, email address, and telephone number for three professional references.
Application materials must be uploaded as one PDF document (in the “Other Document” field) to www.vcujobs.com for review by the Search Committee. Questions may be directed to Dr. Thomas Beatty, Search Chair by phone at 804-828-7377, or via email at email@example.com. If a finalist for the position, candidates must agree to current and prior employers being contacted.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position closing date, July 13, 2018.
For additional information and to apply, please follow this link: https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/80382.
Virginia Commonwealth University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action university providing access to education and employment without regard to age, race, color, national origin, gender, religion, sexual orientation, veteran's status, political affiliation or disability.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/sy5fy2h69yc9qkzt