English Media Writer
7 days left
- Full Time
This position requires the critical competence of both academic and journalistic writing skills. The incumbent will consistently and continuously create, edit, review, and proof-read with meticulous accuracy all English language material produced in print and electronic format on behalf of Georgetown University. The written collateral will include: department and campus reports, annual reports, newsletters, brochures, publications, presentations, advertising, web sites and web pages, biographies, by-lines, social media threads, media and press releases, magazine articles, internal and external speeches and talking points.
- Writing: Understand audience segmentation and create content appropriately for various target audiences ranging from prospective students, current students, parents, Qatari media, regional media, international media, partners and the general public.
- Work within Drupal CMS to write, edit, proof-read and then publish web content
- Oversee and implement content guidelines, including voice and tone, making sure content is optimized for multiple platforms, for SEO, and is consistent with the brand
- Write, edit, review, and proof-read materials in English such as press releases, articles and other promotional text for collateral about activities, programs and events
- Collaborate with event owners to write, edit and update formal event scripts for events
- Draft speeches, letters, remarks, talking points, opinion editorials, blog entries, grant proposals, and other public and private content
- Create and deploy monthly digital newsletter content for various audiences. Conduct testing and expand tracking on newsletter communications to improve engagement and traffic
- Create general and purpose-specific content for brochures, advertisements and publications
- Partner with graphic designer to create content assets in a variety of visually compelling formats
- Gather data and prepare reports on short notice, for various internal and external stakeholders
- Create content for relevant social media channels
- Interview employees, sponsors and dignitaries as appropriate for various articles and to formulate quotes
- Develop and maintain editorial calendar. Compose content, editorials based on communication objectives
- Write and update biographies for university personnel as necessary
- Maintain and update the GU-Q writing style guide for use by the community
- Document and organize various proceedings and minutes of university activity
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of experience and qualifications in either communications, writing, journalism, marketing, media, languages or other related fields
- At least 3 years' experience in writing or creating content for higher education or international institutions
- Superb command of written and spoken English with native fluency and the ability to use American vernacular
- Fluency and practice with citation management and writing styles such as MLA, APA, and Chicago is required.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite and Google Apps, and ability to maser Drupal CMS quickly
- Experience working in a fast-paced, high performance international environment advantageous
- Understanding the flow and poetic nature of Arabic language desired for English content harmonization
Current Georgetown Employees:
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500. For more information about the suite of benefits, professional development and community involvement opportunities that make up Georgetown's commitment to its employees, please visit the Georgetown Works website.
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.