MENTAL HEALTH THERAPIST II (SUBSTANCE ABUSE/BILINGUAL)
Job Type: Full-Time Location: 2120 Washington Boulevard, Arlington, VA 22204, Virginia The salary range above covers the Mental Health Therapist II position for a candidate who is hired without the appropriate Virginia clinical licensure. The salary range for Mental Health Therapist II (Licensed) is $61,609.60 - $94,078.40.
Arlington County's Department of Human Services is seeking an experienced bilingual Mental Health Therapist to work in the outpatient substance abuse program in the Behavioral Healthcare Division. The employee is responsible for providing screening and assessment, individual and group therapy, case management and psychoeducation services to a caseload of substance abusers, many of whom have co-existing mental disorders. This employee will be part of a team of Mental Health Therapists and will work closely with other DHS employees, Probation and Parole, and the Alcohol Action Safety Program (ASAP).
To learn more about our services, please click here.
- Conducting intake assessments to evaluate the severity of a clients' substance use and the potential presence and severity of other mental disorders;
- Developing and implementing a treatment plan;
- Establishing effective therapeutic relationships with clients;
- Providing individual and group therapy, family support and consultation, education, crisis intervention, discharge planning and referral services for substance use and other mental disorders; and
- Documenting services in an electronic database.
Selection Criteria: Minimums:
- Bilingual: English/Spanish (oral and written)
- Master's degree in a clinical discipline such as Counseling, Psychiatric Social Work, Psychology, Art Therapy, Psychiatric Nursing or other directly related clinical discipline all of which required a clinical practicum involving diagnostic and treatment services;
- Two years of full-time post-Master's degree experience providing clinical therapy and other mental health services, which included the application of diagnostic and treatment services; and
- Meet the criteria of a Qualified Mental Health Professional- Adult (QMHP-A) or a Licensed Mental Health Provider (LMHP) per the Virginia Board of Counseling regulations within 60 days of hire. https://www.dhp.virginia.gov/counseling/docs/QMHP_FAQs.pdf
Desirables: Preference may be given to candidates with one or more of the following:
- Providing substance abuse counseling to clients with co-existing mental disorders (dually diagnosed);
- Working with client referrals from the criminal justice system;
- Certification as a substance abuse counselor or as a clinical specialist; and/or
- Virginia licensure as a Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Licensed Professional Counselor, Licensed Clinical Psychologist or Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist.
An assessment of oral Spanish proficiency will be required before a candidate can be appointed to this position.
Applicant must possess, or obtain by the time of appointment, a valid motor vehicle operator's license from the applicant's place of residence or the applicant must have the ability and willingness to use alternative methods of transportation to perform assigned duties and responsibilities at locations other than the primary worksite. If the applicant possesses or acquires a license, the applicant must provide or authorize Arlington County to obtain a copy of the applicant's official state/district driving record. Any offer of employment may be contingent on a favorable review of the applicant's driving record.
A pre-hire background check will be made on all candidates who are selected for employment. It may include checks of the following: criminal record, driving record, education, professional licensure, and credit history. Applicants may be required to sign a release authorizing the County to obtain your background information.
A State of Virginia Central Registry check will be required upon hire.
Additional Information: Work Hours: 40 hours per week - variable schedule Monday through Friday. Hours are flexible and may include some Saturdays. Some evening work is required (minimum two days).
The incumbent in the position (s) will receive the language pay premium on all worked and on paid leave hours.
Your responses to the supplemental questionnaire are considered part of the selection process and are required for this position. Please do not give "see resume" as a response to the questions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.